Syncing Error: Error connecting to server. Check your Internet connection.

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting Zotero Standalone to sync on a newly installed computer. I am not using a system proxy, nor a proxy in Firefox or Chrome. I tried to send an error report, but I get the error: Invalid response from repository

I installed Zotero on a Linux box the other day with no problems. I can connect to sync.zotero.org without problem from this computer.

Any ideas?

Michael

My error log is:

[JavaScript Error: "HTTP HEAD https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/proxy-auth failed: Unexpected status code 0" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/http.js" line: 509}]
[JavaScript Error: "Error connecting to proxy -- proxied requests may not work"]
[JavaScript Error: "Error connecting to server. Check your Internet connection." {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 2595}]
[JavaScript Error: "Error connecting to server. Check your Internet connection." {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 652}]
[JavaScript Error: "Error connecting to server. Check your Internet connection." {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 2595}]
[JavaScript Error: "Error connecting to server. Check your Internet connection." {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 652}]
[JavaScript Error: "1454651084445 Toolkit.Telemetry ERROR TelemetryStorage::loadAbortedSessionPing - error removing ping: PingReadError JS Stack trace: PingReadError@TelemetryStorage.jsm:80:15 < TelemetryStorageImpl.loadPingFile<@TelemetryStorage.jsm:1440:13" {file: "resource://gre/modules/Log.jsm" line: 749}]

version => 4.0.28.7, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 6.1; WOW64, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 4.0.28.7, extensions => Zotero LibreOffice Integration (3.5.10.SA.4.0.28.7, extension), Zotero Word for Windows Integration (3.5.2.SA.4.0.28.7, extension), Adobe Acrobat (10.1.11.8, plugin), VLC Web Plugin (2.2.1.0, plugin), Microsoft Office 2013 (15.0.4514.1000, plugin), Silverlight Plug-In (5.1.41212.0, plugin), Microsoft Office 2013 (15.0.4777.1000, plugin), Java(TM) Platform SE 7 U71 (10.71.2.14, plugin), Java Deployment Toolkit 7.0.710.14 (10.71.2.14, plugin), Intel® Identity Protection Technology (2.0.59.0, plugin), Intel® Identity Protection Technology (2.0.59.0, plugin), Citrix ICA Client (13.3.0.55, plugin), Shockwave Flash (10.0.32.18, plugin), Unity Player (2.6.1.31223, plugin), Google Update (1.3.29.2, plugin), Google Talk Plugin (5.41.3.0, plugin), Google Talk Plugin Video Renderer (5.41.3.0, plugin)

And the debug log is:

[JavaScript Error: "HTTP HEAD https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/proxy-auth failed: Unexpected status code 0" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/http.js" line: 509}]

[JavaScript Error: "Error connecting to proxy -- proxied requests may not work"]

[extra output removed — D.S.]
  • That's likely due to either security software on the system or proxy settings that are still enabled, even if you're not using a proxy.
  • You were right, it was an enabled proxy setting without any server.

It was under Configure Proxy Settings -> LAN Settings -> Proxy Server

Thanks for the prompt response,
    Michael
  • edited February 8, 2016
    Could you say exactly what settings were enabled, both in the LAN Settings dialog and the dialog that shows up when you click Advanced in the "Proxy server" section, that caused this not to work?

The only way I can reproduce this is by enabling the proxy is if I have something invalid entered in the Address field or the Advanced dialog, and in that case everything on the system breaks, not just Zotero.
  • edited February 8, 2016
    Use a proxy server for your LAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections).

While I didn't look at Advanced Settings, the address was blank. And I think I might not have noticed it because I have SwitchyOmega (a proxy switcher plugin) in Chrome and it was set to Direct instead of System Proxy, leaving the browser to bypass the system settings, even though they seemed to be invalid. What made me figure it out was setting SwitchyOmega to System Proxy, breaking the regular Internet connection.

In short, I think it was a broken proxy setting, that somehow allowed SSH, VPN, etc. through but was breaking HTTP, but this was masked by Chrome's plugin.

Edit: There was a SOCKS Proxy listed in Advanced.
  • OK, yeah, an invalid SOCKS proxy entry would definitely break it. So it sounds like this is working as expected. Thanks for confirming.