Connector for Safari won't install under OS X El Capitan

With Zotero desktop standalone 4.0.28 installed (and open or closed), the downloaded extension Zotero_Connector-4.0.28-1.safariextz will not install in Safari 9.0.1 under Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.1. Neither double clicking the download or dragging it into the Safari Preferences > Extensions window seems to do anything -- just opens a blank tab in the browser, and the extension does not appear (not even greyed out, i.e. inactive) in that Extensions pane.

What's wrong? How to fix?
  • I am facing this situation ,too with my MacBook Air. Please respond , thank you.
  • edited December 11, 2015
    Same here.

(edited) Never mind. It was already installed. It just won't update.
  • same here. Very anxious.
  • Mine won't update either. Works fine as is but clicking "update" button under Safari Prefs|extensions results in nothing.
  • The temporary solution: Enter Safe Mode of your mac; install the connector; restart your mac
  • Did you try simply uninstalling the Connector and reinstalling from the download page? It definitely shouldn't be necessary to use Safe Mode. Also note that there was an earlier version of the Connector, from years ago, that didn't update properly — my guess is that some of the earlier posts above referred to that. (And the Safari extension always has to be manually updated from the Safari preferences. It won't auto-update.)