Invalid output from serving

We have just started experimenting with sync 1.5 sharing one library with five users. No worries, we are making back ups all the time.
Today syncing does not work. The message: Invalid Output from server,
last report ID: 65d60c6d83
Yesterday at home I added some tags and removed a few collections. Nothing special. Any advise?
Regards,
Erika
  • Hi Dan, I've just developed the same problem. I decided to my debug output to what Erika has said so as not to have you chasing loads of threads. I hope that's the right thing to do.

Anyway, I get the Invalid Output from Server notification. Here's my debug output from where things seem to go wrong (sorry about the page breaks: I don't know how to get rid of them:

[DEBUG REPORT EXTRACT]

zotero(3): Reloading all items

zotero(5): SELECT itemID AS id, key FROM items

zotero(5): SELECT I.*, COALESCE(CASE (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM itemCreators IC LEFT
    JOIN itemTypeCreatorTypes ITCT ON (IC.creatorTypeID=ITCT.creatorTypeID AND ITCT.
    itemTypeID=I.itemTypeID) WHERE itemID=I.itemID AND primaryField=1) WHEN 0 THEN N
    ULL WHEN 1 THEN (SELECT lastName FROM itemCreators IC NATURAL JOIN creators NATU
    RAL JOIN creatorData LEFT JOIN itemTypeCreatorTypes ITCT ON (IC.creatorTypeID=IT
    CT.creatorTypeID AND ITCT.itemTypeID=I.itemTypeID) WHERE itemID=I.itemID AND pri
    maryField=1) WHEN 2 THEN (SELECT (SELECT lastName FROM itemCreators IC NATURAL J
    OIN creators NATURAL JOIN creatorData LEFT JOIN itemTypeCreatorTypes ITCT ON (IC
    .creatorTypeID=ITCT.creatorTypeID AND ITCT.itemTypeID=I.itemTypeID) WHERE itemID
    =I.itemID AND primaryField=1 ORDER BY orderIndex LIMIT 1) || ' and ' || (SELECT
    lastName FROM itemCreators IC NATURAL JOIN creators NATURAL JOIN creatorData LEF
    T JOIN itemTypeCreatorTypes ITCT ON (IC.creatorTypeID=ITCT.creatorTypeID AND ITC
    T.itemTypeID=I.itemTypeID) WHERE itemID=I.itemID AND primaryField=1 ORDER BY ord
    erIndex LIMIT 1,1)) ELSE (SELECT (SELECT lastName FROM itemCreators IC NATURAL J
    OIN creators NATURAL JOIN creatorData LEFT JOIN itemTypeCreatorTypes ITCT ON (IC
    .creatorTypeID=ITCT.creatorTypeID AND ITCT.itemTypeID=I.itemTypeID) WHERE itemID
    =I.itemID AND primaryField=1 ORDER BY orderIndex LIMIT 1) || ' et al.' ) END, CA
    SE (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM itemCreators NATURAL JOIN creatorTypes WHERE itemID=I.i
    temID AND creatorTypeID IN (3)) WHEN 0 THEN NULL WHEN 1 THEN (SELECT lastName FR
    OM itemCreators NATURAL JOIN creators NATURAL JOIN creatorData WHERE itemID=I.it
    emID AND creatorTypeID IN (3)) WHEN 2 THEN (SELECT (SELECT lastName FROM itemCre
    ators NATURAL JOIN creators NATURAL JOIN creatorData WHERE itemID=I.itemID AND c
    reatorTypeID IN (3) ORDER BY orderIndex LIMIT 1) || ' and ' || (SELECT lastName
    FROM itemCreators NATURAL JOIN creators NATURAL JOIN creatorData WHERE itemID=I.
    itemID AND creatorTypeID IN (3) ORDER BY orderIndex LIMIT 1,1) ) ELSE (SELECT (S
    ELECT lastName FROM itemCreators NATURAL JOIN creators NATURAL JOIN creatorData
    WHERE itemID=I.itemID AND creatorTypeID IN (3) ORDER BY orderIndex LIMIT 1) || '
    et al.' ) END, CASE (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM itemCreators NATURAL JOIN creatorType
    s WHERE itemID=I.itemID AND creatorTypeID IN (2)) WHEN 0 THEN NULL WHEN 1 THEN (
    SELECT lastName FROM itemCreators NATURAL JOIN creators NATURAL JOIN creatorData
    WHERE itemID=I.itemID AND creatorTypeID IN (2)) WHEN 2 THEN (SELECT (SELECT las
    tName FROM itemCreators NATURAL JOIN creators NATURAL JOIN creatorData WHERE ite
    mID=I.itemID AND creatorTypeID IN (2) ORDER BY orderIndex LIMIT 1) || ' and ' ||
    (SELECT lastName FROM itemCreators NATURAL JOIN creators NATURAL JOIN creatorDa
    ta WHERE itemID=I.itemID AND creatorTypeID IN (2) ORDER BY orderIndex LIMIT 1,1)
    ) ELSE (SELECT (SELECT lastName FROM itemCreators NATURAL JOIN creators NATURAL
    JOIN creatorData WHERE itemID=I.itemID AND creatorTypeID IN (2) ORDER BY orderI
    ndex LIMIT 1) || ' et al.' ) END) AS firstCreator, (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM itemNot
    es WHERE sourceItemID=I.itemID) AS numNotes, (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM itemAttachmen
    ts WHERE sourceItemID=I.itemID) AS numAttachments FROM items I WHERE 1

zotero(3): Releasing session lock

zotero(3): HTTP POST version=3&sessionid=******** to https://sync.zotero.org/unl
    ock

zotero(3): <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <response version="3" timestamp="1233919586"><unlocked/></response>

[COK DEBUG REPORT ENDS]

All the best,
    CiarĂ¡n
  • As I saw somewhere else on the forum I supposed the problem could be my version of Firefox (3.5). So, first I updated Firefox: errors occurred again. Then I completely reinstalled both Firefox and Zotero, but I still can not sync.
    report ID 2048604206

best,

Erika
  • I'm not sure that that can be the problem Erika: I'm getting it on a WinXP machine with 3.0.5 installed, but was getting the error before the update. Plus I was getting the error last night on my ubuntu box too, which hasn't upgraded yet. My guess: this error means that we've fouled up our server-side database in some way. Only a guess mind.
  • I too am getting this error as of yesterday.
    Mine is ID number 3694d64809 (reported).
    I uploaded some new documents yesterday and have been unable to sync since then.
    It is possible that this is connected with the new firefox version that I installed before ripping the documents...
  • I upgraded Firefox and am getting the same error. Also imported some references from another zotero database.

I also noticed that the reset preference pane is impossible to get to work. It fails and pops up a window saying you need to enter username and password on the other tab even when the username and password are already there.
  • Just noticed the other thread regarding the reset option not being active until the next update. Is the "SP" update automatic or will I need to go to the website to upgrade? I didn't see an check upgrade option in preferences for the zotero SP install.
  • When I removed the recently added collection, I still get the invalid output from server error (new data never got to server as far as I can see). The error is generated on an XP laptop which upgraded Firefox this morning. My OSX iMac which upgraded Firefox yesterday, seems to be synching zotero just fine today - no error messages.

So, at least for me, the server side error seems to only effecting the XP version of of zotero SP.
  • Most "Invalid Output from Server" problems should now be fixed.
  • Thanks- it all works perfectly now

Cheers
  • Hi Dan,

We really appreciate the work you do at your side of the ocean! Thanks!!

Unfortunately I still have troubles syncing. The error report says:

[JavaScript Error: "col.lockDateModified is not a function" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 2087}]

Report ID: 1339543211

Best

ERika
  • Sorry, forgot something: Syncing at home on a private PC or Mac is no problem. The error only occurs at the university (on three different pc's we tried) so maybe it is a university-network related problem?
    Erika
  • thanks for getting the server side patched up. seems to be ok.
    really nice work in general. i am trying to get completely off endnotes and google notebook, and hoping for a stable release in the near future.

thought i should mention a few things i learned.
    WebDAV is not allowed by many corporate networks and probably some limitations on university nets - my company blocks any outside the firewall web storage including .mac and google docs.
    i seem to have many items that are not showing up across platforms with SP, i think some have a "reindex item" option available, which appears to do something, although the preferences option for rebuilding the whole index fails every time with some kind of script hanging in chrome.
    when i tried to report some errors i am getting that require firefox restarts, i fail to be able to report. it appears the main logged item of interest is the build is considered out of date and will no longer synch - or report errors?
    so, i'll see if there is something newer than 3.6 on the website in a second.

keeping my fingers crossed that i can get everything synched up and reasonably stable
  • ok, no new build of zotero since 3.6
    so, thought about it some more
    the items that are not synching (most are) appear to be pdf files that i dragged into zotero subcollections without first creating an item and attaching.
    these appear on the original machines library, but do not synch across to others
    so, maybe you need to manually attach each pdf to an item created in zotero?
    i've been doing this mainly to keep copies of unsorted reprints on the server for later updating, assuming i will do pubmed searches later, create an entry in the appropriate collection for each reprint, and then attach the pdf to the detailed reference

just curious whether the drag and drop of pdfs into the zotero window should create items that synch across platforms. its a nice feature if so, but seems to not be creating synch-able entries.

cheers!
  • col.lockDateModified is not a function
    This should be fixed in SP 3.7, now available.
    just curious whether the drag and drop of pdfs into the zotero window should create items that synch across platforms
    Drag-and-drop creates imported files, which should sync via WebDAV if set up correctly regardless of whether they're attached to regular items. If you're having trouble, start a new thread.

Closing this thread, since the original issues were temporary and have all been fixed.
This discussion has been closed.