Trouble saving to zotero after Adobe update

Hi,
Since I have updated Adobe any pdf I open and annotate from Zotero standalone does not automatically save to zotero. Instead it offers me the choice of saving to my most recent folder on my computer and if I hit browse I can't even find the zotero folder. Is anyone else having this problem?

Nicole
  • yeah, they made that weird change where you can only save a copy, which defaults to another location. I haven't seen a workaround that doesn't involve using an older version or other PDF reader yet.
  • I guess they are trying to get us to change over to saving documents in their document cloud. Really annoying.
  • This works and it's not too fiddly because you only have to do it once then subsequent saves to Zotero are automatic.

Open the document -> right click -> document properties -> click on the link next to location -> remember last part of address.

Search computer -> zotero file -> right click -> include in library.

Then when you go to save document -> browse -> zotero -> zotero storage -> look for last part of address from document -> open -> save.
  • Nice, thanks for reporting back with this.
  • edited December 9, 2015
    Nicole670 - Your solution worked well for a single document but I did not want to repeat that for every document I have in Zotero. An easier way to alleviate this problem is to change your preferences in Adobe. The following thread shows the solution from Adobe discussions: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1815625?start=0&tstart=0

Basically, you need to go to "Edit" and scroll all the way to the bottom and find "Preferences" (or hit Ctrl + K). Select "General" in the Categories pane. Deselect the box which says "Show online storage when saving files". Scroll to the bottom and click "OK". This should return to the old Adobe functionality.

Hope this helps!!
  • Thank you. This works well :-)
  • Works - thank you so much sbrown7! :) and thanks adamsmith for pointing me to the right forum!
  • I also had this problem, and this solution fixed it. Thanks.
  • Thanks everybody for input, got notes and highlights on PDF doc, but unfortunately, I can not get the extracted annotations, although I downloded Zotfile several times, I guess so.
  • Thank you sbrown7! That finally helped!