Zotero is slow

2»
  • tj: I can't reproduce any problems with your database. You noted in your e-mail that disabling other extensions reduced the problem, which suggests that something on your system was responsible for the slowdown. There's no harm in using the repaired database, and a rebuilt database can occasionally produce modest performance gains, but there's no reason to think this was a problem with the database itself.

If you can reliably reproduce (and log) a hang in Zotero with other extensions disabled, let us know.
  • Dan - many thanks. I appreciate your taking the time to look at this.
  • I have been trying to find a correct forum for this question and am not sure this is where to post.

I have been using zotero and zotero standalone and experience hangs when i switch between collections. I have reduced the indexing (although not all the way to 0). I ran a debug output under number: D576751309

I'm running on a Macbook Pro 13' with 4gb of ram.

Thank you
  • Hi everyone, Zotero has recently started to be slow whenever I introduce a new citation. I have already written 138 pages of my PhD thesis. On average, there are 4 citations per page, which means that the Word document has approximately 552 Zotero citations. Now it takes ages every time I introduce a new one.
    Since I still have to write two more chapters, I was wondering what I could do to solve this problem. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Best regards
    Luis
  • edited October 10, 2015
    Zotero is slow-ish in large documents. Best advice is to author chapters separately and merge them at the end.
  • OK, but if I decided to continue in the same document (for various reasons, I work better this way), is there any risk? Could Zotero eventually collapse if the document becomes too large? Thanks again. Luis
  • It's unlikely to collapse and there are no risks, no. It's just going to get slower as your document gets longer.
  • edited December 10, 2015
    Hi Zoteroists,

First of all the usual thanks that you totally deserve :)

I use zotero even though it takes up to 25 seconds at times to search for an article or reference, or add a tag or related-article in my databasase (a large one at that with mutiple pdf folders), in all honesty I'm quite dependent on it.

After more than 5 years of zotero usages, less than 4 months ago I have reset firefox and cleaned up my database of heavy pdf's, which are all now in the same folder.

I'm on quite a fast macbook pro late-2011: I have just upgraded the ram (to 16GB) and the hd is now SSD, mainly to help speed up Zotero. It worked much better a while. On other applications the computer is really fast now, including heavy geographic information system software that I use on a windows partition without any issue whatsoever.

The last Firefox update (v42) could have something to do with the current sluggishness in Zotero. I hope that this debug nr. below will help you identify any issues: D1544683171

Let me know if there's something I can do about it. Many thanks.
    Best regards,
  • Ignacio: How about if you close the tag selector in the bottom left?
  • oh yeah, that improves quite a bit! Thanks! I
  • edited May 19, 2016
    Hi everyone, I have similar problem with Zotero Standalone, but I haven't found the solution.
    I am checking a list of approximately 5200 articles and I am using tags(Marcas in Spanish) to at the end select some items that have a special Mark. However it takes 18 seconds between I put the tag and I can change to another title.
    I have a core I7 2.4GHz, 16GB computer.
    I have disabled most of the Mozilla Add-ons, the indexation and the sync of Zotero, please Help Me.

This is the ID of the error inform: 602908874. (shows a JavaScript error, that I don't know if can be related with my problem or not)

Update: I have closed the Tag space, and it works perfectly. Maybe it can help anyone.
  • Dan: The Tag selector slowdown issue - will this improve in 5.0?