web references using ieee style

Hi,

I am new to Zotero and I must say... Great tool! Simply amazing! I am wondering however, how I can get my web references to show using the ieee style. When I use "save link to current page" or "create item from current page" to create a refence, I find I am unable to see when the refence was accessed and where it is available. I have noted that this is only the case with the ieee style 'cause with the chicago manual of style for instance this isn't a problem.

I am doing something wrong here? Is there an alternative way that I am supposed to add web references in zotero? Is it easy to modify the style to include this additional information (which I believe is there but just isn't being included).

thnx,

/z13ruce
  • What is presented in a citation or bibliography is controlled by what style you use. If you want IEEE style but with 'URL' and 'Date Accessed' included you will need to change the XML file as described in the Developers Section of the Zotero Website. The process is not particularly hard but confusing depending on what type of programs you are use to using.

Before you begin this process check out the Zotero Style Repository. There are a lot of variants available of common styles which can be imported into your installation of Zotero with click of the button.
  • SimonCropper is, of course, right. You can edit styles or create them from scratch to do whatever you want. It'd be better if the styles actually function the way they're supposed to, but IEEE makes it hard. They don't seem to specify how to cite websites.

http://standards.ieee.org/guides/style/section7.html#992

The style in practice doesn't match the previews on the styles page, though. So I'll look into that. Even if it does work exactly the way IEEE specifies, though, it might not do what you want. You may be best off finding another style that does what you want.
  • edited January 30, 2009
    Okay, having looked into this further, IEEE style does not call for the use of the URL under any circumstances. This is probably just because their description is not very detailed, but we can't just go adding things to styles that they don't call for.

You'll have to either edit it yourself, or find another style that matches what you're looking for.