Inserting Zotero citations into Scrivener

Recently I went through the process of integrating Zotero with Scrivener (I followed the steps here: http://dahl.at/wordpress/2014/02/05/scrivener-and-zotero/), but the integration was not fully successful. I am able to copy citations from my Zotero library using cmd+shift+c and then paste them into my footnotes in Scrivener, as the instructions say I should. The problem arises when I compile my Scrivener document into an RTF file. When I do so, none of my footnotes carry over, and, even if I insert the Zotero citation directly into the text (e.g., { | Donahue, & Harrington, 2002 | p. 71 | |zu:1181244:3QCFKWPZ} ), the Zotero RTF scanner does not recognize it. I would greatly appreciate some help with this issue. Thanks!
  • you need to use ODF (.odt) for that format
    Better instructions are here:
    http://thedigitalresearcher.com/how-to-use-zotero-with-scrivener-part-2/
  • Thanks for your response. I've attempted integration with the ODF add-on, but when I export the document from Scrivener to odt format all my footnotes get lost. Any idea what's going on there?
  • that's apparently a well-known issue with Scrivener's ODT export. Two possibilities around that:
    1. Export from Scrivener to RTF, open in Libre Office and save as .odt, then run the scan (and the open in LO again to set the reference style).

2. Insert the References in the text in Scrivener. Zotero/Libre Office converts them to footnotes.
  • That did the trick. Thanks for your swift responses. You were very helpful.
  • edited October 3, 2015
    I am having two different but related issues.

1. When I use cmd+shift+c to copy a citation from Zotero and then use cmd+v to paste it into Scrivener, the citation that shows up is not correctly formatted. Specifically, the citation I am copying and pasting has an author and two editors, but what shows up in Scrivener is this:

{ | Augustine, et al., 1998 | | |zu:1140854:DKP9E464}

This is how it stays after exporting the document as a .rtf file, converting to .odt in LibreOffice, and putting the document through the RTF scan in Zotero. What shows up in the document after the scan is:

(Augustine, et al., 1998)

However, it should be "(Augustine 1998)." (I am going for Chicago Manual-style author+year format.)

2. After I copied and pasted a citation from Zotero to Scrivener, I manually entered a page number in what I take to be the right spot, i.e.

{ | Augustine, et al., 1998 |147 | |zu:1140854:DKP9E464}

However, the page number doesn't show up any more after I do the RTF scan. Again, what shows up is simply:

(Augustine, et al., 1998)

However, it should be "(Augustine 1998, 147)."

Help! Thanks so much.
  • You need to set a citation style in the document preferences. What you're seeing are just placeholders.
  • You mean in Scrivener or Zotero? How would I do that? Thank you!
  • So I just set my bibliography manager to Zotero in Scrivener. Now when I go to Format --> Bibliography/Citations... in Scrivener, it takes me to Zotero. What do I do now? Thank you!
  • In the zotero libre office add-on. This is covered on the instructions, so you can also refer to those.
  • edited October 3, 2015
    I'm sorry, but I'm not sure if this is the issue. There seems to be no issue between Zotero and LibreOffice. For example, if I insert a citation from Zotero straight into a document in LibreOffice, using the Zotero toolbar there, I get to select a citation style, and everything works like a charm. It is only when I insert the citation into Scrivener (and then export the document in .rtf format, open it in LibreOffice, convert it to .odt format, and run the file through the RTF scanner in Zotero) that I am having these problems.

Thanks again.
  • After scanning the file, you need to open it in libre office and set a citation style (and insert a bibliography if you want one). That's when the actual formatting of citations takes place.
  • That did it. Thank you so much, really, and apologies for bothering you with something so basic.
  • When you say 'scan' is that the same as 'compile'? Thanks
  • no. Compile is something Scrivener does. Scan is something the ODF-scan add-on for Zotero does. See the 2 posts linked at the top of this thread.