Word Edit Bibliography

I am attempting to edit a bibliography in Word. However, the editor is removing the italics and adding in other characters. The example is below.

Ongori, H., & Agolla, J. E. (2008). Occupational stress in organizations and its effects on organizational performance. {\i{}Journal of Management Research (09725814)}, {\i{}8}(3), 123–135. Retrieved from http://www.sagepub.com
  • Yeah, the editor function is mostly fried, I don't know if it's going to get repaired.

Depending on what exactly you need, would removing field codes in a copy of the document and editing in Word directly be an option?
    Or, of course, if these are general issues, editing the data in Zotero itself.
  • I primarily use the editor function to add in a "Retrieved by" when DOI info is not available. I can add it directly into the Word document, but if I hit refresh it wipes out my edit. I do hope you fix the feature, it is very helpful.
  • edited November 6, 2015
    Hi.
    Thank you Adam.
    I add something more (probably I would open a new topic "WORD EDITOR", but the problem is the same).

My stuff: MacBook Pro El Capitan, Word 2015, Zotero Standalone, all updated.
    The problem is with all styles.

Adding a citation:
    É.H. Gilson – J.P. Reilly, The Gilson lectures on Thomas Aquinas, 34.
    Editing a citation, for example removing the final dot:
    É.H. Gilson – J.P. Reilly, \iThe Gilson lectures on Thomas Aquinas, 34

Furthermore, some times ago (some versions ago) in the EDITOR I could see the final result, as it would appear in Word.
    Instead, now I see:
    {É.H.} {Gilson} – {J.P.} {Reilly}, {\i{}The Gilson lectures on Thomas Aquinas}, 34.

The editor worked well, now it's a problem modifying a citation.
    For example it can often happen to want to remove the final full stop, and always there is the error!

Observation:
    - the "strange" visualization in EDITOR happens --> always;
    - the wrong modification in final text happens --> above all on italics.

Suggestion:
    - why not a new button in Zotero panel? A button to remove only the fields codes of only one citation (like the command RemoveFieldsCode of Word)?
    - or a simple check in Word plugin while you add a new citation, like "insert as simple text"
    In this way you can
    - insert and modify it in Word, without all annoying field issues
    - keep your file connected to Zotero for general modifications.

I hope this can help.
    Bye.
    Paolo
  • I do believe it's possible in Word to remove individual field codes, but this is strictly a Word function and I'd have to see myself.

If you just want to insert a plain citation into Word, why not use Create bibliography in Zotero and copy&paste. I think that's sufficiently simple that we wouldn't want to add an extra button in the add-on.

Neither of these, of course, would work for the bibliography, which is a single field, technically speaking.
  • Yes, in Word it's possible to remove selected field codes.
    With a Mac cmd+fn+shift+f9; with Windows (only in some versions) cntr+shift+f9.
    The field can become simple text, but for a normal user – in my opinion – it's too difficult.

For me a little check/tick, while you add a citation, could be very interesting.
    You could choose two ways of working, inserting citations as field or as simple text.
    I think it wouldn't be a useless function; the "cite while you write" of EndNote works in this way.

About "Create bibliography", my experience is not a great one.
    Making a "paste":

- in Word: the text is pasted with correct formatting, but it adds a "1." before the string of text, and the number is a field.
    Very uncomfortable in footnotes.

- in Pages and other Word-processor: the text is unformatted and it appears to be a second item of a list:
    Example:
    1. undefined
    2. R. Bauckham, The theology of the book of Revelation.

Finally, solving the problem with the visual editor, could solve the most of problems.

Paolo
  • - in Pages and other Word-processor: the text is unformatted and it appears to be a second item of a list:
    Example:
    1. undefined
    2. R. Bauckham, The theology of the book of Revelation.
    the lack of formatting is only for Pages, whose clipboard integration is basically broken. The double footnotes are fixed for the next Zotero version.
  • Sorry.
    The other Word Processor I use is Scrivener, but it's based on RTF files that can't keep the formatting. I forgot it.
    Thanks.