zotero in powerpoint?

Hi,
I have the "plugin" for microsoft office word. But is there a plugin for powerpoint?(to insert citation and bibliography in a .ppt document) That would be great...
Thanx
  • edited September 13, 2009
    You could just drag citations out of Zotero into PowerPoint. You can also copy a bibliography to the clipboard in Zotero, then paste it into PowerPoint.

For more info, see: http://www.zotero.org/support/creating_bibliographies
  • very cool, thx for that answer Sean!
  • edited April 23, 2010
    Hi,

I understand the technique that Sean suggest, but that is just a workaround when dealing with large scale presentations.

Adding the same functionality as in word (especially the dynamic updating of the numbering of the references) would greatly improve the functionality, at least for all consultancy firms and such that produce a lot of client deliveries in powerpoint, not just word document reports.

The available styles would obviously be far less, since there does not exists any "publication standards" for powerpoints. Two or three basic choices would be enough.

Other than that, I must say that Zotero is a life saver!

BR

Erik
  • I don't believe powerpoint has the same type of field functionality Word does, so that might just no be a possibility.
    I would say use LATeX Beamer and bibtex instead, but since you mention consulting I know that's not going to happen.
  • Indeed — Powerpoint simply doesn't support scripting (automating actions) the same way that Word does. This is a limitation of Powerpoint, not of Zotero.
  • I would also like to see a Zotero add-in for Powerpoint, in case the new PPT version (2013) has enabled fields/scripting so that automatic updating of reference numbers can be done. Otherwise, I guess that using workarounds such as the one suggested by Sean are the only solution.

I personally use PPT not just for presentations but also for academic posters, and there too having the power of Zotero available would be great.
  • I just found this: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/zotero-dev/IOInLxH4W0k

Has anyone tried it?

I was tempted to, but when I saw that it involved installing a customised version of Zotero, I shied away.

On a related note, is there anyway to preserve the existing installation of Zotero so that I can safely try out this customised version? I am guessing creating a new profile in Firefox is the only way out... Please let me know if there is any other way.
  • yes, separate firefox profiles are the way to go for testing. I have half a dozen of those...