Error when inserting a citation in Word using Firefox integration

Running Microsoft Word 2010, Firefox 38.3.0, Windows 7. I get this error when I try to insert a citation in a Word document. I've tried reinstalling Zotero and the Word plugin.

Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

An unhandled exception occured. [getDocument:document.cpp]'An unhandled exception occured. [getDocument:document.cpp]' when calling method: [zoteroIntegrationApplication::getDocument]
  • does this occur on a fresh document, too, or only in a specific document?
  • Fresh document as well.
  • We've been receiving very similar reports for documents saved in OneDrive; ist that the case here?
  • No. Not using OneDrive. This is on a work computer on a network, though. It is a new computer with Windows 7 instead of Windows XP. Zotero worked great on my old computer with Windows XP.
  • The network might be relevant (Windows 7 definitely isn't a problem). Is the file on a network drive? The Word installation? Zotero?
    Something is preventing Zotero from interacting with the open Word document. I don't believe we have seen this exact error before at all, so I'm guessing it's something very specific to your setup.
  • I'll check with our IT department to make sure they are installed completely on my hard drive. May I have them contact you if there are questions?
  • this is the best place for contacting anyone Zotero-related, and sure, your IT folks can post here, too.
  • edited October 17, 2015
    Hi,

I am getting the same message as chinrichs1:

An unhandled exception occured. [getDocument:document.cpp]'An unhandled exception occured. [getDocument:document.cpp]' when calling method: [zoteroIntegrationApplication::getDocument]

It happens in new documents, old documents, documents that already have zotero citations in them, saved documents, and unsaved documents.

I am using the standalone word plugin. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I have even tried wiping ALL Zotero-related files from my comp and reinstalling, which does not make a difference. The Zotero features appear in a Zotero tab in MS Word, but none of the features work. I get the same message when I try to insert a citation or insert/edit a bibliography.

I am running windows 10 on an Acer. I am not on any kind of network. I am using my home computer, and Zotero has worked perfectly on this computer in the past.
    Thanks so much!
  • OK, so could also be a recent Word update; let's see if other people hit the same issue.
  • Today i knew about the uses of zotero software, i'm excited and installed the software but i'm getting same msg too.

"Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

An unhandled exception occured. [getDocument:document.cpp]'An unhandled exception occured. [getDocument:document.cpp]' when calling method: [zoteroIntegrationApplication::getDocument]"

Really i disappointed please give some suggestions.
    j'ai le même problème: j'ai copié mon texte et je l'ai collé dans un nouveau document word. j'arrive dans ce nouveau document à insérer de nouvelles citations tout en ayant également celles qui étaient présentes dans le document originel.
  • If I use the Zotero standalone and don't run Firefox I can work with citations in Word but I can't run Zotero in Firefox to add new references. If I run Zotero in Firefox without running the standalone I can add new references but I can't run the plugin from Word to cite them.
  • could you confirm the respective versions of Zotero Standalone and Zotero for Firefox you're using?
  • Firefox 38.3.0. I'm not sure how to distinguish between the Standalone and Zotero for Firefox when checking the version. I seem to get his number for both 4.0.28.7.
  • You would be able to tell the Firefox version by
    typing about:addons in the URL bar in Firefox and then clicking on "More" next to the entry for Zotero.
    While you're at it, also check the Word addon version.
    It's certainly possible you're running 4.0.28.7 on both, but would be good to make sure.
  • Both are 4.0.28.7. Word is Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 14.0.7153.5000 (32-bit).
  • Do you have any thoughts on what the problem might be?
  • My only thought is that it's a problem with the ESR version of Firefox, though of course that should work. If you have an easy way of testing with FF41, that'd be good to know.

I'm actually not quite sure I understand when exactly this doesn't work.
    So you say it works when running just Standalone and it doesn't work when running just Zotero for Firefox. But what if you're running both at the same time. I'd expect it to work and you'd be able to add references from Firefox at the same time.
  • edited October 30, 2015
    Hi.
    Am also experiencing the same problem as chinrichs1 and Anna l. My zotero used to work great till a week ago and is giving me the error

Am currently using windows 8 with firefox version 41.2.0 and zotero for windows 3.5.2 with windows 10. Any assistance would be of help
  • I have the same issue:

I am running the firefox plugin, and my OS is Windows 10. The problem seems to have started after I upgraded to Windows 10
  • edited May 12, 2016
    Hi I was able to use zotero without any problems last year. I stopped using for a while and restarted today and had the same problem as detailed above. Im running firefox with windows 2010. Is there any way to solve this problem? Thank you
  • check if you're running the 64-bit version of Firefox. That's not currently compatible with Zotero's word integration (nor is Zotero tested on that more generally, though I'm not aware of any other issues).
  • Hey, I also have this problem, anyone found a solution yet?
  • Zotero detectó un error al actualizar el documento.
    Que debo hacer ?
  • I am also still getting this message - anyone find an answer yet!
  • What exact message are you getting? There are several quoted in this thread. What set-up? Does it also occur in a fresh document?
  • I have installed / unistalled / reinstalled Firefox version and also Chrome Standalone (preference) but when I open Word the addins are there but if I try add a citation I get the message below.

• and that includes in a new, empty document?