zotero via vpn

Hi,

I often use zotero in firefox via a VPN connection, in order to get access to papers via my university's network.

This used to work fine, but for reasons unknown to me doesn't work anymore. (nb: When running zotero not via VPN, everything works fine.)

I can open Zotero in the browser, can see my library (which is located on my hard drive). When I try to download a pdf into my zotero library, the pdf appears in the library. However, when I click on it, I get the message: "the attached file could not be found. It may have been moved or deleted outside of Zotero.'.

Also, Zotero shows the following errors warning (Report id: 358402795):

[JavaScript Error: "Error: Not allowed to define cross-origin object as property on [Object] or [Array] XrayWrapper" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translation/translate_firefox.js" line: 462}]

[JavaScript Error: "NS_ERROR_XPC_NOT_ENOUGH_ARGS: Not enough arguments [nsIWebBrowserPersist.saveURI]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/attachments.js" line: 356}]

[JavaScript Error: "TypeError: req.sendAsBinary is not a function" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 1803}]

[JavaScript Error: "TypeError: this._editor.getContent is not a function" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/bindings/styled-textbox.xml" line: 200}]

Any suggestions on possible cause of the problem and how to fix it would be much appreciated.
  • What version of Firefox and Zotero are you using? Make sure you're up to date and not using a beta/alpha version.
  • Thank you, updating zotero did solve it. Apparently the auto-update didn't work when using the browser via vpn.
  • I am quite sure that your issue is unrelated to VPN. I use Zotero with VPN for years and haven't had any problems. It is actually much more stable than any proxy solution.