Zotero Firefox plugin error with LibreOffice 5

Autoinstall doesn't work. Manual installation gives this error message:
'Could not create Java implementation loader'. Is there a way to install the plugin properly?
  • I don't think LO5 has been tested, but judging by the error message, that'd be an issue with the JRE -- which OS are you on?
    What does it say under Java Options under Tools-->Options-->Advanced?
  • edited August 7, 2015
    Problem solved, thank you. By default LO activated the JRE 64-bit version. I changed it to x86 (I've both versions installed). Now Zotero extension installes.

But it shows text instead of symbols in the menue. If necessary, I'll open a new threat. I am on win10.
  • You can keep this here -- while the issue in this thread are mostly linux:
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/21761/libreoffice-missing-toolbar-icons-but-toolbar-working/
    The general solution--delete the LO config files and re-installing the Zotero LO add-on should work. Unfortunately I don't know where the config files are on Windows, so you'd have to take a look for that.
  • Solved. Thanks again. I re-named the user folder.

%appdata%\Roaming\LibreOffice\4\user

Re-starting LO creates a new one. Then installed Zotero LO add-on from firefox again.
  • Same problem here, neither auto nor manual installs work. Even after updating Java, Zotero standalone, and installing Libreoffice 5, on Windows 10. Does this mean Zotero doesn't work with 64 bit Libreoffice 5?
  • you need a 32 bit Java version (which you can have installed in addition to the 64 bit one). But as you can see, oberton got this to work without any problems so yes, it does work.
  • After uninstalling Java altogether, then manually reinstalling both 32 bit and 64 bit versions, then pointing Libreoffice to the 32 bit version, I still get the same errors. I'm installing from Zotero standalone, or manually from Libreoffice. Neither works. The Word version still seems to, so for now I'll go with that.
  • could you specify what you have selected exactly as the Java JRE? And you're getting the "Could not create Java..." error message?
  • In Libreoffice options Advanced, you can choose Oracle Corporation 1.8.0_51 from two different locations. One is in Program Files\Java (the 64 version I presume), and the other is in Program Files (x86)\Java (the 32).

The autoinstaller error from Zotero standalone is "Installation could not be completed because an error occurred. Please ensure...Libreoffice... is closed, then restart Zotero".

When you try it manually, it throws the "Could not create Java implementation loader" error.
  • Im my case it worked after I renamend the user folder to userold (you may as well delete it) so that at the next start LO installes a fresh one.
  • Deleting the entire user folder seems to have worked, once I found the right folder under Windows 10. It's in Users/yourname/AppData/Roaming, but still listed under Libreoffice 4. I tried just deleting the extensions subfolder to save my tool settings, but that didn't do it.
  • (we'll want to get this working properly on LO5, but that will take some time. Thanks for reporting back with solutions until then).
  • I had the same problems with NeoOffice on a new Installation of Yosemite on a MBP and NeoOffice 3.4.1 It is necessary to download the old JRE 1.6.0 from Apple, e.g. here
    https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=de_DE&viewlocale=de_DE
    Then I enabled Jave in the NeoOffice preferences and THEN IT WORKED!
  • I installed JRE 1.6.0, but where exactly do you enable Java in NeoOffice preferences? I could not find it. Thanks!
  • I have a similar problem. My MacBook crashed and to get working again I took an older MacMini not used anymore and updated it to Mac OS Yosemite, installed a fresh Firefox, migrated my old profile and updated the Zotero basic file directory: Zotero works fine :)
    Than I installed a fresh LibreOffice 5. When using the Install function from the LibreOffice plug-in in Firefox I got the error message, that I need the Java Runtime. I followed the link provided by the errormessage (more information... in German "WEiter Infos..." Button) to Oracle and installed the Java Run Time offered there. Restarted Firefox (and even the whole Computer). The Oracle test-page shows Java as runing, trying to install the LibreOffice plug-in I still get the same error message. When trying the manual way I get also an error message "Could not create Java implementation loader"(while the Zotero Toolbar shows up in writer, but does not work). I also tried to uninstall the Firefox Plug in and reinstall it again. Still does not work :(
  • @olaf -- as noted above, you need the old JRE 1.6.0 from apple and you need to then enable it in the LibreOffice preferences. Did you do that?
  • @adamsmith
    Yes I also followed the Link in the post above and installed the legacy Java Version from Apple. I rebooted the whole Mac. I reinstalled the Firefox plug-in.
    Still when I try to install the LibreOffice extention from Firefox-plug-in (actually it shows the button as "reinstall" so it detects in LibreOffice the extention) I get the error: "Installation could not be completed because an error occurred. Please ensure that LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org/NeoOffice is closed, and then restart Firefox." althoug LibreOffice is not opend.
    When I choose to install manually I get from LibreOffice first a warning, that Version 3.5.9 of the Extention is already installed (in German): "Möchten Sie die Version 3.5.9 der Extension 'Zotero LibreOffice Integration' installieren?
    Diese Version ist bereits installiert.
    Klicken Sie auf 'OK', um die bereits installierte Version zu ersetzen.
    Klicken Sie auf 'Abbrechen', um die Installation abzubrechen."
    When I click on "ok" to continue the Extention loader seems to work a while and than throws the error message: "Could not create Java implementation loader". Althoug LibreOffice states, that the Zotero extention is installed, it is not listed in the Extention Manager (only when I choose the update option and there to show all updates, zotero shows up in grey and with the description, that an error occured: "Es ist ein Fehler aufgetreten:
    Start tag expected, '<' not found
    Line: 1
    Column: 1".
    Any more suggestions? Thanks!
  • and in LibreOffice, under Tools --> Options--> Advanced, do you have that JRE selected?
  • I at first hand I did not, but now I did it as well. The result is ambiguos. Althoug the Java 6 installation mentioned abouve was called finished with the result "successful installed" it does not show up in the LibreOffice Options to select, only Java 1.8. So i selected that one and now the extions seems to work, at least I could insert a reference into a test document, but in the tool bar in LO there are no icons, only plain text. I do not know how to activate the older Java version in LO. Any suggestions, where to find?
    Thanks!
  • as long as the add-on works, don't worry about the JRE versions.
    The icon issue is a bit more complex, see the posts by oberton from Aug 8 and 12 and Bry from Aug 12 for what they did to get the icons back.
  • edited October 7, 2015
    OK, thanks, that helped.
    For all mac users: I found the right place by looking into LibreOffice -> preference -> paths (German: Pfade) and it was enough to change the name of the "extensions" folder within the "user" folder, to get ist generated new and Zotero runing with icons. And since it is by default in the Library folder you need to make hidden files visible. see: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/08/04/how-to-show-hidden-files-folders-finder-mac/ for an how-to.

Does that mean, that I did not needed to install the Java 6 legacy-package in the first place but only enable the Java 1.8 in LO?

Olaf
  • it seems like it, though I'm a bit surprised that's the case. We've pretty consistently seen the LibreOffice add-on not working with 64 bit JRE versions and from what I understand, the 1.8 version on Mac only comes in 64 bit. Maybe that's incorrect, though.
  • Under Win 10 on LO 5.0.2.2(64), I have constantly this problem even with JRE(1.8.0.65) 32 bits selected. I already deleted my user folder 3 times without succes. Autoinstall and manual install don't work and give the same message as above.
  • Success with the new LO 5.0.3.2, I feel much better.
  • I'm trying to install the legacy 32 bit JRE but it's not letting me under OSX sierra. What now?