Apple's Pages '09 has endnote

I know this has been discussed in reference to Pages '08 but is it possible to create a plugin or something with Pages '09? I know it is knew and many probably have not had a chance to look at it, but since it has endnote built in how hard would it be to bring in Zotero?

If this is too much to ask I understand.
  • Mahood,

I have spent quite a few hours trying to work with Endnote X2.0.1 and Pages '09. Here's my analysis: The good thing about it is obviously Pages '09 (for those of us who prefer it over Word) and secondly, its ability to automatically retrieve the full text. HOWEVER, this latter is quite cumbersome if you are off campus: you need to establish a VPN connection with your institution and only then it MIGHT work. Secondly, with the latest update installed, you can search in ONLINE mode, i.e. you can search your preferential library (Pubmed in my case) and once your search results are in, you have to actively right click on a given reference, copy selected reference and then select the .enl library where you want that reference to end up in; drag & drop is not possible ! This is way too much hassle in my opinion. You can choose to do your search in an integrated LIBRARY + ONLINE mode in which as soon as you do a search in Pubmed, ALL (yes ALL) your search results are added to your main library !!!

All in all I feel that Endnote X2 is really far behind when it comes to functionality / utility when compared to Zotero. The cumbersome way of generating a list of references exceeds the joy of working with Pages '09.

I am still anxiously waiting for the long awaited Sync Preview plugin that will be compatible with Tiger. Any update on that Dan?

Disclaimer: I have no financial / commercial / emotional interest or particular loyalty to Zotero.
  • I think it would be terrific to support a Pages connection if possible. :)
  • edited January 12, 2009
    Ask Apple. It's up to them to make it possible for third-party developers to do this.
  • So we should write to Apple about this?
  • Yes, write to Apple. The more people the better (since they tend not to listen otherwise!). Ask them to open up the citation and bibliography capabilities to other applications, including Zotero.
  • As Simon noted elsewhere, you can direct your requests to Apple's feedback form.