Word plug-in for zotero 4.0.20

Dear all,

Does anyone know where to download older versions of word plug-in?

I need a word plug-in that fits zotero 4.0.20.

(I need to stay with this older version (4.0.20) of zotero because the current version (4.0.27.4) fails to communicate with some of my older word documents. The problem is that the new word plug-in (3.1.20) does not communictae with the old zotero version.)

Thank you!

Peter
  • you can just switch out the version numbers in the download address of the new add-on.

It makes more sense, though, to work on troubleshooting things with the new Zotero version, as you will eventually be unable to stay on the old version and keep a reasonable degree of functionality (syncing, import).
  • Dear Adam,

I went through the trouble shooting advise.

But the problem persists:

Some of my older and longer (300 pages) word documents do not commnictae with zotero. When I want to change citations or insert a bibliography, the word plug-in does not respond. When I close firefox afterwards, I receive a message saying "Zotero experienced an error updating your document. Database permanently closed; not re-opening".

New documents are fine.

I had the same problem last September and back then I simply downgraded to an older zotero version. But now that does not work either.

Can you help with this?

I sent a report to zotero. The report ID is 1745647593.

Best wishes,

Peter
  • Style with ID http://www.zotero.org/styles/chicago-manual-of-style-16th-edition-author-date already loaded from "chicago-manual-of-style-16th-edition-author-date.csl
    This might be unrelated, but have you made manual changes to styles, or installed custom styles?

Move the 'styles' directory within your Zotero data directory to your desktop and restart Zotero. Then try again, and provide another Report ID if you still get an error.
  • Thanks, Dan.

Yes, I did change a style.

I did what you suggested: Copied the styles file to the desktop and restarted zotero.

The problem continues.

The new report I sent has the neumber 356347565

Can you tell what´s wrong?

Best wishes,

Peter
  • Did you copy the styles folder to the desktop or move it? You want to do the latter.

There are no Zotero errors in that report. Can you provide a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for this? Be sure to restart both Firefox and Word immediately before reproducing this.
  • Yes, I moved the whole style folder. But the word document still doesn´t connect to zotero.

The debug ID is D714604840

Do you see anything?
  • PS:

The error message I get after closing firefox says:

"Zotero experienced an error updating your document. databse permanently closed; not re-opening".
  • When I want to change citations or insert a bibliography, the word plug-in does not respond.
    How long are you waiting? There are no errors in the debug output, so it's possible Zotero is just regenerating all of your citations, which could take a while, and that you're interrupting it.
  • OK.

I waited longer this time and eventually the word document did get updated. So, I guess the text is just too long. Maybe working with individual chapters will make it easier.

Thanks again for looking into this!
    Peter
  • Dan and Adam:

I seem to have discovered a bug with the new add-in (ver 3.5.1, I guess). I installed it a few days ago. Since then, Word2013 started behaving slightly funny. Any time I click anywhere in the document, the cursor switches from arrow or bar to the 'wait' symbol (blue circle) for a second, as if something is running in the background. This gets very distracting. And if I move the cursor within the text using arrow keys, the mouse cursor keeps blinking in the same manner, distracting me from seeing where the text cursor has actually moved. (Sorry, I cannot give a better description or video). After worrying that my laptop was going bad, or Word2013 was corrupted, I finally tried disabling the zotero addin, and this behaviour went away.

So I am also tempted to downgrade back to 3.1.20. Or is this something you folks can easily fix?
  • You're not the only one reporting this: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/52528/new-zotero-word-addin-causing-spinning-blue-wheel-in-ms-word/#Item_1

This is Simon's to fix, I can't tell you when that's going to happen & I don't see a problem with downgrading in the meantime. Make sure you disable auto-updating for that add-on and keep an eye on the other thread (you can subscribe to threads in the menu on the left) so you return back to auto updates once this is fixed.
  • Thanks, Adam. As I have posted on the other thread also, I need some help figuring out how to downgrade. Unable to properly uninstall latest version and install previous version. Just adding .dot file to the Appdata/.../Word/.../ folder does not work.
  • as per that thread, this should be fixed with the newest version of the add-on.