Cannot synchronize after Firefox 41 upgrade: Debug ID D1888605179

After upgrading to Firefox 41 and Zotero 4.0.28.4, when I try to synchronize, I get the following error:
The Zotero sync server did not accept your username and password.

Please check that you have entered your zotero.org login information correctly in the Zotero sync preferences.
I have "Sync automatically" and "Sync full-text content" turned off, and I use a webdav server to sync attachments.

The web developer console states:
Invalid username or password sync.js:2566:0
Invalid username or password error.js:38:0
The same username/password works just find on the web site. The password does not contain special characters.
  • Could you provide a Debug ID for re-entering your username/password in the Sync pane of the preferences and attempting to sync? (Your password won't be logged.)
  • Done. I sync'd, re-entered my password and closed the dialog, and then attempted to sync again.

Debug ID is D1074058288
  • OK, and just to confirm, this still happens after restarting Firefox?
  • Yes, and also when I disable all extensions except for Zotero.
  • Not too much I can tell you. This is almost always because the password is actually incorrect. Your best bet is probably to try resetting your password on here.
  • I reset my password already. I also tried creating a brand new account, and I still couldn't sync.
  • Same situation with my installation. Standalone works well, using Firefox causes sync porblems.

DEBUG-Id: D925217321
  • I have created a completely new profile and attempted to sync with my original Zotero account.

My library seems to be stuck locked:

(3)(+0000000): Associated libraries are locked -- waiting 70000ms before next check

Debug ID is D1946757479.
  • I am also able to use Zotero standalone to sync, but the browser extension continues not to work.
  • edited September 24, 2015
    mainland: You just have a queued download on the server. When it finishes processing, the sync will complete.

For the password issue, if you know how, you can use the Firefox Browser Console, with XHR request logging and "Log Request & Response Bodies" enabled in the Net section, to inspect what's being sent over the wire for the https://sync.zotero.org/login request and a login to zotero.org. That might give you an idea of what the issue is.
  • Ah, I see the problem... I have my own WedDAV server set up to sync files. When the extension logs in to Zotero, it uses my *WebDAV* password, not my Zotero password!
  • To clarify, it doesn't matter what garbage I enter for my Zotero password; now that I've changed my Zotero password to be identical to my WebDAV password, I can sync. This seems to be a bug in the Zotero plugin.
  • edited September 24, 2015
    OK, thanks for debugging that. Firefox 41 broke our access to the Firefox login manager, so we had to put out a quick fix, and it didn't properly account for WebDAV passwords.

Can you try the 4.0 Beta and confirm that it works correctly for you without your having to reenter any passwords? (If so, you should also be able to change your passwords to be different again, if you prefer.)
  • Actually, no need to try the beta. The fix is available now in 4.0.28.5.
  • I was having the same problem and an upgrade to 4.0.28.5 fixed it for me. :)

While upgrading, I noticed that about:addons in Firefox is warning that "Zotero could not be verified for use in Firefox. Proceed with caution." Assuming this is a separate known issue, but mentioning it just in case.
  • While upgrading, I noticed that about:addons in Firefox is warning that "Zotero could not be verified for use in Firefox. Proceed with caution." Assuming this is a separate known issue, but mentioning it just in case.
    yup. See https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/51154/sign-addon-httpswikimozillaorgaddonsextensionsigning/#Item_6
  • After upgrading to 4.0.28.5 sync with the Firefox plugin is working.
  • I now have 4.0.28.6, and with this version I can sync successfully with Zotero/WebDAV passwords that differ. Thanks for all your help!