Problems with last update firefox / word 2010 (not starter edition)

Hi!
Today I have updated Zotero, but when I need to use the "editor" to modify my citations, in the window appears a very strange string and I'm not able to do what I want.
For example:

{M.}{GUIDI}, {\I}{}COSÌ AVVENNE LA GENERAZIONE DI GESÙ MESSIA},23.

instead of

M. GUIDI, Così avvenne la generazione di Gesù Messia, 23.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
  • First, can you provide a Report ID?

Are you doing something with BibTeX on purpose? What does that item look like in the right-hand pane in Zotero?
  • edited July 17, 2015
    Sorry, I don't speak English very well and maybe I didn't explain myself clearly.
    I cannot supply any report Id because the problem occurs when I try to modify my citation using word. I open "zotero edit citation", I select "classic view" and when I select "show editor", it appears the string that I have reported above. Not only, but when I select a periodical article and I insert it in word, zotero insert a dot at the end of the shorten title that should't be...
    The problem is whit word - I suppose - not with zotero-plugin for firefox or zotero standalone. I have word 2010 professional, not starter edition. Yesterday the problem happened while I was using word and firefox, not word and standalone. But as soon as standalone was updated, the problem appeared with standalone too. So I think there is something wrong with the last update.
    I didn't used "strange" font... only "times new roman" using the Pontifical Gregorian University output format.

Thank you very much for your help
  • You can always supply a Report ID. We need that before going further.
  • And we also need to know what the item looks like in the right-hand pane in Zotero.
  • edited July 17, 2015
    Hi! Thank you for your suggestions

The reportID is: 386904228

In the right pane all seems to be ok. But when I cite an article of academic journal (a periodical for example) zotero relocates a comma or a dot before the inverted commas (zotero has also modified all the citations yet inserted in my document). For example:

S.R. Garrett, «Christ and the Present Evil Age.»

instead of

S.R. Garrett, «Christ and the Present Evil Age».

And this happens for all the items (not books, only articles).

Thanks a lot!
  • The Classic view is inserting the RTF version of the citation into the editor. The developers may peg the problem immediately, but I'll also take a look and see if I can work out where it's going wrong.
  • (fbennett: Ah, thanks. I knew that didn't make a lot of sense as BibTeX.)
  • Hi.
    On the same way of donale79.
    Same citation style (Pontifical Gregorian University), same problem, but Standalone + Word2011 for Mac.
    I checked the style (I made it) but it worked and works. In CSL no problem with comma or dot inside inverted commas. All ok (seems to me).

The problem is not only with the classical view.
    Here citations from non-classical view (note: when no page numbers, dot inside inverted commas).
    J.G. BOUGEROL, Introduction, 23.
    G. EMERY, ««Theologia» and «dispensatio» : the centrality of the divine missions in St Thomas’s Trinitarian theology», 45-34.
    G.M. REICHBERG, «La communication de la nature divine en Dieu selon Thomas d’Aquin.»
    L.J. BOWMAN, «The Cosmic Exemplarism of Bonaventure.»

With classical view is the same:
    P.W. ROSEMANN, Peter Lombard.
    P.W. ROSEMANN, Peter Lombard, 223.
    N. DEN BOK, «The Sentences,» 11.
    N. DEN BOK, «The Sentences.»

So, the problem is only with journal citations.
    And it is FOR ALL CSL styles. For example Chicago manual of style 16th (note):
    Bougerol, Introduzione Generale, 23.
    Emery, “‘Theologia’ and ‘Dispensatio’ : The Centrality of the Divine Missions in St Thomas’s Trinitarian Theology,” 45–34.
    Reichberg, “La Communication de La Nature Divine En Dieu Selon Thomas d’Aquin.”
    Bowman, “The Cosmic Exemplarism of Bonaventure.”
    Rosemann, Peter Lombard.
    Ibid., 223.
    Bok, “The Sentences,” 11.
    Bok, “The Sentences.”

Bye and thanks.
    Paolo Brambilla
  • @paolinobra: This is the second issue raised by donale79. You're fine in this thread, but it's a little easier to manage things when there are separate discussions for separate issues.

Rinse, Sebastian: This maybe suggests that processors should not do punctuation-in-quote for some quote forms, or in some locales. If there is a policy in CSL, I can adjust the citeproc-js, but I'll wait for guidance. Thoughts?
  • This maybe suggests that processors should not do punctuation-in-quote for some quote forms, or in some locales.
    But both users are reporting the issue for https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/blob/master/pontifical-gregorian-university.csl, which is set to "it-IT" and has even an explicit ``, so we should never have punctuation within quotes here, right?
  • that style doesn't use quotes="true" at all. It just hardcodes the guillemets. Could that be the issue?
  • Ah, good catch. But since those guillemets are coded as affixes on CSL variables, that still doesn't explain how the periods/commas are able to sneak in front.
  • Rintze, adamsmith: What I get for posting while tired. I noticed that the quotes were set at affixes on this one days ago, and must have been in the midst of testing further when other things (sleep) intervened.

It's not behaving correctly, is it.
  • The problem goes away by removing `quotes="false"` (e.g. on line 91 for the bibliography). (Zotero Standalone 4.0.27.6)
  • There are a couple of processor bugs. quotes="false" should not trigger punctuation migration. That was a silly bug, the fix will be up soon.

With quotes="true" and the it-IT locale, I still get the period inside the quote with a bare title at the end of the cite (not correct). If I add a page number, the punctuation shifts outside the quote (correct). I'll see what I can do.
  • @paolinobra:

Meanwhile, the conditions for ibid in this style will always fail, because when "ibid" is true, "near-note" is false. The "near-note" test should be removed.

Also, you should test separately for "ibid-with-locator" and "ibid"; otherwise the "ibid" term will render nothing unless a page number is also given.
  • @paolinobra, @donale79:

The bug in the processor that caused the period to appear inside the guillemets has been fixed. You can try out the new version by installing the Processor Patch plugin. A future version of Zotero will include the fix. When you disable or uninstall the plugin, Zotero will revert to the standard processor.
  • Thank you so much.

For the style specifications, I will see them comparing with the specifications of University. For now I can't remember why I chose that solution.

For processor's bug, I have decided to wait for the future version of Zotero (I can wait). Actual version has still the bug.