Again on Office 2016

Hi.

Having read all other discussions (above all: [Closed] Office for Mac 2016), my problem is about the general use of Zotero with Word 2016, not only with Standalone.
My Mac:
- Macbook Pro, Yosemite, updated.
- Word 2016 updated
- Word 2011 updated
- Zotero both StandAlone and Firefox
- all plugin/extensions installed and updated

In Word 2011 all works fine, as usual.

In Word 2016 two main problems:

1) it doesn't work. I followed all suggestion in the old discussion (reinstallation of Zotero, installation of MacWord Trunk XPI, reinstallation of add-in for Word from the panel in Zotero).
I didn't try the reinstallation of Word, but please, no, too long (because of downloads).

If I open the Zotero.dot model (see below), I have in the Ribbon the "added components" (I don't really know how is in English), with Zotero buttons.
But they don't work.
It doesn't matter if Zotero Standalone or Zotero Firefox is running or not, the error is always the same. Probably is in the Word plugin.

Text of error:

export APP_SANDBOX_CONTAINER_ID="com.microsoft.Word"
export Apple_PubSub_Socket_Render="/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.kgAT7jlmkI/Render"
export CFFIXED_USER_HOME="/Users/donpaolo/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data"
export HOME="/Users/donpaolo/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data"
export LOGNAME="donpaolo"
export OLDPWD
export PATH="/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin"
export PWD="/Users/donpaolo/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data"
export SHELL="/bin/bash"
export SHLVL="1"
export SSH_AUTH_SOCK="/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.pg2UlmgyG4/Listeners"
export TMPDIR="/var/folders/qk/9tv5g5pj7c7_8y7z057tbd880000gn/T/com.microsoft.Word/"
export USER="donpaolo"
export XPC_FLAGS="0x0"
export XPC_SERVICE_NAME="0"
export __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING="0x1F5:0x0:0x4"

- the only way to have Zotero in Ribbon is opening Zotero.dot.
I use to "teach" Zotero for dummies in my university and my colleagues (I think in last years I taught – or better showed – Zotero to more than 200 persons.
I saw that in Word, opening a new model and merging styles from another model could be too much complicated for a novice.
Is it not possible an integration working similar to Word 2011?
There, after installation, for a novice was simply to use Zotero, just opening Word.
And again: I had to put manually the Zotero.dot file in the models' directory.
In my opinion, too complicated for a "normal" user.

I hope I was clear.
Thanks.

Paolo
  • yeah, forget about the errors when opening Zotero.dot -- that's not supposed to work.

THe general instructions for non-English installations for older versions of Word for Mac still apply: You'll want to make sure Zotero.dot is in Word's startup folder:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#toolbar_does_not_appear_in_word_20042011_or_is_incompatible

This does work just like Word 2011 in general and for most users, installing the add-on is all you need to do.
  • The only way I can imagine that you're getting that message is that you're using the template from https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/47311/2/#Item_19, which was only ever meant for debugging purposes.
  • I'm also having issues getting the add-in ribbon icons working in microsoft word mac 2016.

Zotero standalone 4.0.28
    Zotero Word for Mac Integration 3.5.11.SA.4.0.28
    Mac OS X El Capitan

I know the whole "El Capitan" thing could be the issue but I've seen other people report using El Capitan and having it work for them.

Any help would be much appreciated!
  • what type of troubleshooting have you tried so far?
  • Everything I could find on the forums. Installed and uninstalled both word and zotero. Checked to make sure Zotero.dot was in the correct place. When I go to add-ins & templates in word it shows that Zotero.dot is loaded, and even reports the correct path. The add-ins ribbon shows all the correct zotero buttons but clicking them gives me the "make sure you zotero or firefox opened" error. Tried a manual install of the integration plugin for zotero and didn't have any luck...
  • I am having the exact same issues... Is there a fix yet?

export Apple_PubSub_Socket_Render="/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.Iz3VxpI41v/Render"
    export CFFIXED_USER_HOME="/Users/webrev/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data"
    export COMMAND_MODE="unix2003"
    export HOME="/Users/webrev/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data"
    export LOGNAME="webrev"
    export OLDPWD
    export PWD="/Users/webrev/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data"
    export SHELL="/bin/bash"
    export SHLVL="1"
    export SSH_AUTH_SOCK="/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.WhE4BzocuQ/Listeners"
    export TMPDIR="/var/folders/mm/tt33r29148ggvkdykn3y11xh0000gn/T/com.microsoft.Word/"
    export USER="webrev"
    export XPC_FLAGS="0x0"
    export __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING="0x1F5:0x0:0x0"
  • Same as above -- it looks like you installed a transitional version of the Zotero.dot that was intended for troubleshooting. Remove it and re-install the regular version of the Zotero for Word add-on.

@tcsim7 -- you seem to be getting a different error (no mention of the error message you're getting in the original post here). Please start a new thread and let us know the exact error message you're getting--no paraphrasing, no translation.
  • Removed zotero.dot from ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content/Startup/Word

Reinstalled Zotero Standalone

Reinstalled Word intergration ...

Still getting export errors:
    export Apple_PubSub_Socket_Render="/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.DPVXeVe7el/Render"
    export CFFIXED_USER_HOME="/Users/webrev/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data"
    export HOME="/Users/webrev/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data"
    export LOGNAME="webrev"
    export OLDPWD
    export PWD="/Users/webrev/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data"
    export SHELL="/bin/bash"
    export SHLVL="1"
    export SSH_AUTH_SOCK="/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.IqcaPmOCr2/Listeners"
    export TMPDIR="/var/folders/mm/tt33r29148ggvkdykn3y11xh0000gn/T/com.microsoft.Word/"
    export USER="webrev"
    export XPC_FLAGS="0x0"
    export __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING="0x1F5:0x0:0x0"

Any suggestions or what am I doign wrong
  • Any suggestions ...
  • and this is using the regular Zotero for Word add-on from https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation ? Not anything you've found linked on the forums?
  • I am using Zotero Standalone ... the error message has disappeared but now the Add-in menu is missing.

When I open a new document and look at Developer-->Add-ins, there are two zotero.dot templates listed.

One is sourced at ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content/Startup/Word ... there is a dot file at this location.

One is sourced at /Applications/Office/Starup/Word ... if I deselect this one Word crashes, because there is no file at that location.
  • Only to keep up to date.
    El Capitain (10.11), Zotero Standalone, Firefox, Word all updated, same error in Word:

export Apple_PubSub_Socket_Render="/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.fUvENZKKAJ/Render"
    export CFFIXED_USER_HOME="/Users/donpaolo/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data"
    export HOME="/Users/donpaolo/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data"
    export LOGNAME="donpaolo"
    export OLDPWD
    export PWD="/Users/donpaolo/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data"
    export SHELL="/bin/bash"
    export SHLVL="1"
    export SSH_AUTH_SOCK="/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.5LP148ROFw/Listeners"
    export TMPDIR="/var/folders/qk/9tv5g5pj7c7_8y7z057tbd880000gn/T/com.microsoft.Word/"
    export USER="donpaolo"
    export XPC_FLAGS="0x0"
    export __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING="0x1F5:0x0:0x4"
  • Probably it's only a problem of mine.

But:
    - I removed Word 2011
    - I removed Word 2016
    - I removed Zotero
    - I have re-installed Word 2016 and Zotero

Same error.

I don't know what I can do more.
    Deleting some libraries of Word or Zotero?

Thanks
  • Happy update from me.
    I succeeded in solving the problem.

It was in a strange configuration of the definite directories.
    The directory of start ("Avvio" in Italian, I think it can be "Start" or "Launch" in English) was not the regular/ordinary one, but it was changed, pointing to another directory.

I simply changed the setting and all has been solved.

I write for users that can be affected by the same error.

Bye