Google Books translator error

Report No. 1805574126

I'm receiving a translator error every time I try to import a book from Google Books (.de) Using Standalone (4.0.28) with Chrome, windows 10.

Receving this error in Chrome:

[JavaScript Error: "Cannot read property 'textContent' of undefined" {file: "eval at <anonymous> (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/inject/translate_inject.js:50:9), <anonymous>" line: 140}]

I've tried resetting translators in Chrome and also deleting the default translators folder.

Sample URL: https://books.google.de/books?id=qK0N7LIyaNsC&amp;printsec=frontcover&amp;dq=phenomenological+anthropology&amp;hl=en&amp;sa=X&amp;ved=0CCoQ6AEwAGoVChMIhOH_j4H0xwIVAVcUCh1X_QUG#v=onepage&amp;q=phenomenological anthropology&amp;f=false
  • continued from: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/42065/google-books-not-working-in-chrome--windows-7-1864217919/#Item_7
    Still looking at this, works in Firefox.
  • Hmm - works for me in Chrome, too. Are you having any troubles on other sites?
  • No, I've only noticed this problem with Google Books.
  • For me, it happens when I try to add a book after a search.
    In the search result page, the book cannot be added. It used to work.

Error: Translator called select items with no items

In the book page, I can add without problems.

report ID D1255530889
    Linux x86_64 , Firefox
  • I get an error both on the search page as well as the book page.
  • (3)(+0000004): Translate: Beginning translation with Google Books

(3)(+0000005): ===>null<=== (object)

(3)(+0000001): ===>null<=== (object)

(3)(+0000000): ===>null<=== (object)

(1)(+0000001): Error: Translator called select items with no items
    ===== Stack Trace =====
    Zotero.Translate.Sandbox.Web.selectItems@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translation/translate.js:457:1
    Zotero.Translate.SandboxManager.prototype.importObject/attachTo[localKey]<@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translation/translate_firefox.js:527:29
    @chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translation/translate_firefox.js:433:66
    doWeb@Google Books:76:3
    Zotero.Translate.Base.prototype._translateTranslatorLoaded@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translation/translate.js:1222:4
    Zotero.Translate.Web.prototype._translateTranslatorLoaded@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translation/translate.js:1811:3
    Zotero.Translate.Base.prototype.translate/<@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translation/translate.js:1189:58
    Zotero.Translate.Base.prototype._loadTranslator@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translation/translate.js:1574:16
    Zotero.Translate.Base.prototype.translate@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translation/translate.js:1189:4
    Zotero.Translate.Web.prototype.translate@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translation/translate.js:1802:2
    Zotero_Browser</this.performTranslation@chrome://zotero/content/browser.js:707:3
    Zotero_Browser</this.scrapeThisPage@chrome://zotero/content/browser.js:164:4
    oncommand@chrome://browser/content/browser.xul:1:1
  • edited September 21, 2015
    Ok, I discovered what the problem was. I use the Privacy Badger addon on Chrome. Checking the settings for the addon, I saw that both Google and Zotero were being blocked. Now that I have removed the block from both of these I can add from Google Books without a problem.

Privacy Badger blocks websites that track users across the internet. It's good that the problem is solved, but I am concerned that Privacy Badger found that Zotero was tracking me. Maybe this is something that needs to be followed up?
  • If you look at the principle by which privacy badger works, you'll see that Zotero is a perfect candidate for blocking. When you visit different pages and use Zotero, you are loading content from zotero.org and zotero.org probably does set cookies, though I doubt that tracking you is of any interest to Zotero. Do you have Zotero Standalone open when importing? If no, that might increase the likelihood of privacy badger blocking Zotero.
  • If you have Zotero open, the Chrome connector shouldn't make any requests to zotero.org. If Zotero isn't open, it needs to talk to zotero.org to get translators. The translator repo doesn't set any cookies, though, and the connector doesn't send the specific URLs you're accessing — it just asks for the code for specific translators based on the URL targets in the locally cached translator metadata.
  • (Your browser will send previously set cookies from zotero.org, but those aren't used or stored by the repository.)
  • edited September 21, 2015
    Depends on how privacy badger really works under the hood, but it may recognize repeated requests to localhost as tracking as well. (though I guess you didn't white-list that) We should add it to the list of conflicting extensions.
  • Looks like it currently does block localhost as well https://github.com/EFForg/privacybadgerfirefox/issues/596