converting a personal library to a group library

I created a profile for a non-profit organization/research group. Currently we have an extensive bibliography (480 items) set up as a 'My Library' with the organization and all the researchers have the organization login info.

As the research group grows, I think it will be better if we start to take advantage of 'Groups' so that we can have one central bibliography (this would be the existing non-profit profile). Then each researcher can have their own profile and work as a 'Member' of the non-profit research Group. The Group would need to be 'Private.'

This has the added benefit of to organization/group administrator being able to tell what each researcher contributed to the organization's Group library. Also, researchers would be able to use their personal Zotero profile for their own personal libraries (i.e. for things not related to the non-profit research group).

I guess my question is this: is there any way to convert the existing non-profit organization's library to a group library (while still keeping all tags, notes, collections, attachments etc.)? It would be nice to do this without moving the existing library (i.e. copying/pasting or importing/exporting).

To further complicate things, the existing non-profit organization's library is already integrated into the organization website (using Zotpress I believe). Will making our centralized library a 'Group' affect how this is integrated into our website?

What is the best way to go about all this?
  • The simple thing to do would be to create a group library and drag-drop all items (or collections) from the personal library to the group library... but
    the existing non-profit organization's library is already integrated into the organization website (using Zotpress I believe). Will making our centralized library a 'Group' affect how this is integrated into our website?
    it will affect this, though it should be an easy fix to link Zotpress to the group library (depending on how much you rely on maintaining the same item URIs). If you have cited items in Word documents that would also be a concern (IIRC, though someone else will have to confirm this).
  • edited July 30, 2015
    We have also paid for unlimited storage for the personal library. Am I correct to assume that the new Group library would continue to have 'unlimited storage'?

And no, we have not cited anything in MS Word. However, we are planning on citing other web pages within the website with the reference items in Zotero. This a very important piece of the website.
  • The storage plans are assigned to a Zotero account, so as long as the unlimited account owns the group (group ownership can be transferred), the storage will be deducted from that account.
  • I wanted to follow up on this. I'm attempting to similarly move items from a personal to a group library, and tags are stripped in the process. Is there a way to retain tags over a move?
  • Nevermind - I see that there is a preference in the general tab to enable copying of tags. This wasn't documented anywhere I searched, though!