Word 2011 error: "Compile error in hidden module: link"

I am trying to integrate zotero standalone 4.0.28 with Word 2011 on a Mac (OS X Yosemite). I successfully synched zotero standalone to my old library, but zotero and word seem to be having trouble communicating. Whenever I try to open word I get the following message: "Compile error in hidden module: link"
When I try to insert a citation I get the following error message: "error in loading DLL"

Has anyone experienced this or can anyone help fix it? I am stuck and in need of being able to cite and generate bibliographies again. I tried installing the word plug in again (from the Preferences in zotero standalone) restarted word, restarted the computer but that doesn't help.
Thanks in advance...
  • First, check if there are Word add-ins besides Zotero in the startup folder. This is usually located at /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Office/Startup/Word. If there aren't, something related to Visual Basic for Applications may be corrupted. In that case, check here. If those steps don't work, you may need to reinstall Office.