Excessive CPU usage

2»
  • edited July 23, 2015
    Thanks so much for following up, Dan. I tried a couple more things this morning:

1) I checked the DB for errors but zotero reported "No error were found in the database"
    2) I disabled all plugins under Tools > Add ons.
    3) I disabled all extensions under Tools > Add ons.

No success so far. The only work around so far is to filter the top-level items so that only a subset of my zotero library is shown.

If you have any other ideas on how to narrow down the issue, please let me know.

All the best,
    Steve
  • It seems like "Actual Multiple Monitors (AMM)"--a program to create additional taskbars in a multi monitor setting--caused the excess CPU load. Once I deactivate AMM, zotero's CPU load goes to 0%. Thanks again for the help!

Steve
  • For what is worth, I keep seeing this issue (Linux, Zotero standalone, 4.0.29.10) though it is now perfectly tolerable.

When running with:

- All plugins disabled;
    - Tag selector collapsed;
    - An empty collection selected;
    - Firefox not running (to prevent the "Save to Zotero" translator to interfere);
    - Zotero in a non-active window (I use xmonad with a multiple virtual screens; the one with Zotero is not being shown)

Zotero uses about 2% to 2.3% of the CPU all the time with occasional spikes of 13% to 15%.

If I change the layout.frame_rate (see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=508427 in aurimas' post above) in about:config to 1, then usage goes down even to 0% (with occasional spikes that are, however, smaller ---rarely beyond 10%). But it also seems that usability goes down (Zotero seems sluggish when using keyboard shortcuts or typing into the search box or creating a note). Setting layout.frame_rate to 24, however, is OK for me usability-wise and drives %CPU usage to 0.7% to 1.0%.

Fortunately, enabling plugins (the ones I use: Ascii Rename, Auto Index, Better BibLaTex, ZotFile and Zutilo), having Firefox running, and having Zotero in the active window have none or minor effects (CPU still around 1% to 1.3%); having my full collection selected (> 4,000 entries in that view) seems to have, at most, minor effects(of course, there is a spike when it starts loading the item list). Showing the tag selector also seems to have minor effects.

• Zotero 5.0.36, available now, should reduce idle CPU usage to ~0%.