Box Sync Error

I'm getting an error message while syncing Zotero standalone on my Mac to Box webdav. I'm not sure what the actual issue is because when I check my Box account, it shows that something is still syncing, and it looks like my pdfs are also syncing, though I haven't checked each and every one.

When I check for Zotero updates, it says there are none.

My report ID is 1998833574
  • I recently setup Box webdav too. Even after full sync, if i restart my zotero, it shows sync bar again and starts uploading. Don't know what is the error.

I also checked for Zotero updates but it was already fully updated.
  • If you provide a Debug ID for a sync attempt that fails we might be able to provide a more specific error that you can report to Box, but that's all we can do on this.
  • edited August 7, 2015
    Thanks for your response.
    My library is still restarting syncing to BOX from the beginning.

My Debug ID : D902345518.

Awaiting Solution. :)

Just ran into another error. Zotero Auto generated this Debug ID: 2003856627
  • That Debug ID cuts off before the WebDAV error.
  • Sorry for that. Its my first debug logging. Try his new Log please.

Debug ID is D513826531
  • That still just appears to be an active sync. You can't submit the Debug ID until the problem you're reporting — in this case the error — occurs.
  • I've been talking with Box as well and they've been working on things on their end. They thought they had fixed it but I'm still having issues.
    My most recent debug ID is D1882339892
    My most recent report ID is 2119480726
  • HTTP PUT of 72QH3WRC.zip to https://[...]@dav.box.com/dav/zotero/72QH3WRC.zip

[...]

"Your Box account may be temporarily unavailable. We're working on resolving the issue and should be back up soon."
    For what it's worth, this appears to be a 300+ MB file. You can paste '72QH3WRC' into the search bar in Zotero in All Fields & Tags mode or look in the 'storage/72QH3WRC' folder within your Zotero data directory to see the attachment in question.
  • I got the error which i failed to report before. Please advise.

ID: 1349927043
  • I'm afraid there's nothing else we can do here.
  • Another error just popped up before my sync was complete even a single time.

HTTP 0 error from WebDAV server for GET request

What is going on here? This is frustrating.
  • you really need to talk to Box about this -- it's their server, their error.
  • Since there may be, hopefully temporary, issues with Box, why not try a different WebDAV service?
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/webdav_services
  • If you're uploading a 300+ MB file to Box but getting an error it could mean you're hitting the 250 MB file size limit for the free Box account.

Do you pay for Box?
  • I've taken out the file that may be to big, though I don't understand how it got that big since the pdf is only 144 MB. I'm still having sync issues though. I've been talking with Box this whole time and they've been working on things on their end and they are now starting to say this is a Zotero issue and not their issue. I will keep trying to talk to them though.

My sense is that this could have been all avoided, particularly if it has to do with a file size, if Zotero had an interface that allowed the user to see more of what was going on and what files were at issue rather than just giving a general error message and direct the user to their WebDAV or these forums.

My latest Report ID is 100477132
  • you can obviously look at your Debug output yourself. The "View Debug" button shows you exactly what Dan is looking at.
    I don't think it's realistic for Zotero to implement any pretty interface for this, sorry.
  • Thanks for the advice, but I don't really want to learn how to interpret the Debug output as that is not why I use Zotero. My suggestion was meant to be some aesthetic improvement, but a way to possibly allow more ignorant users, like myself (but obviously unlike adamsmith), who don't know where to look for specific files that might be causing issues. That way we might not waste Zotero's and other's time (this thread has been going on for 7 days now) with our naive questions.

There are already little blue dots to show a file is linked to Zotero and an empty circle to show when that file is missing. It's both pretty and helpful. Using another color to indicate that that file is not syncing would be, admittedly, pretty, but also helpful.

From what I can tell from the Debug log is that the same file seems to be causing issues even though I've removed it. It was also a file added several months ago and only now has been causing issues.

Report ID: 156194529
    Debug ID: D863749853
  • edited August 12, 2015
    The problem is that Zotero has no control over the various types of errors malfunctioning webDAV servers may return (and going by past instances, this pretty much always ends up being a WebDAV issue). It's not just "sync fails with this file". That's why the wordy debug is really the only reliable way to see what's going on. I didn't intend to be snarky about this--you did ask to "see more" and I told you where to look.
  • You either didn't delete the correct file or didn't empty the trash. You can paste 72QH3WRC into the Zotero search bar in All Fields & Tags mode to see the item in question (which, again, may be in the trash).

We could perhaps show the item in question more of the time, but the reason we don't is that much of the time the file in question is irrelevant, and showing it would just encourage people to delete files unnecessarily. Issues with WebDAV syncing are almost always best dealt with via server logs, because it's the server that's rejecting a proper request. Sometimes error output makes it into the debug output, but because it can happen in all sorts of places and can also be very large, that's not something we can add to the dialog. (We might be able to log more of that to the Browser Console, though.)
  • Thanks Dan! Emptying the trash worked! I had search as you suggested several times before, but the file never appeared.
    Thanks for commenting on my previous comment as well. I understand not wanting to encourage unnecessary deleting. It was just a thought on how someone like me could troubleshoot things a bit more (without having to dig through parts of Zotero I feel much less comfortable in) before coming to you and the forum for help.