collapse year suffix

I am making a csl where I want to collapse with year suffix if it's two papers with same first author for the same year:

I am getting this:

Multi Citations
(B. Baur, Fröberg, et al. 2000; B. Baur, Schileyko, et al. 2000)
Bibliography

Baur B, Fröberg L, Baur A, Guggenheim R, Haase M. 2000. Ultrastructure of snail grazing damage to calcicolous lichens. Nordic Journal of Botany 20: 119-128.

Baur B, Schileyko AA, Baur A. 2000. Ecological observations on _Arianta aethiops aethiops_ (Helicidae), a land snail endemic to the South Carpathian mountains, Romania. Journal of Molluscan Studies 66: 285-289.

But i want this:
Multi Citations
(B. Baur et al. 2000a; B. Baur, et al. 2000b)
Bibliography

Baur B, Fröberg L, Baur A, Guggenheim R, Haase M. 2000a. Ultrastructure of snail grazing damage to calcicolous lichens. Nordic Journal of Botany 20: 119-128.

Baur B, Schileyko AA, Baur A. 2000b. Ecological observations on _Arianta aethiops aethiops_ (Helicidae), a land snail endemic to the South Carpathian mountains, Romania. Journal of Molluscan Studies 66: 285-289.

any suggestions?
  • In addition I don't want a space between a and b

(Ellis & Coppins 2007a,b)

NOT
    (Ellis & Coppins 2007a, b)
  • Use the following under "citation":

<option name="collapse" value="year-suffix"/>
    On your second request, it's currently not supported, though we're talking about adding it.
  • I am using that option but if it's different authors as in my example I get the first and second author and then collapse. However, I want only the first author
  • edited January 9, 2009
    Ah. That's definitely not supported; comparison for this sort of grouping only happens by comparing of all authors.

Why would you want to do that? Is it actually required by a style?
  • edited January 9, 2009
    Because that is common in several ecological journals

e.g. All journals from the British Ecological Society (http://www.wiley.com/bw/submit.asp?ref=0269-8463&site=1)
    Annals of Botany (http://www.oxfordjournals.org/our_journals/annbot/for_authors/index.html)

etc etc

"When different groups of authors with the same first author and date occur, they should be cited thus: (Able, Baker & Charles 1986a; Able, David & Edwards 1986b), then subsequently abbreviated to (Able et al. 1986a; Able et al. 1986b)."

"Italicized letters 'a', 'b', 'c', etc., should be added to the date of papers with the same first authorship and year"
  • OK, I'll look into if we can make some changes to CSL to support. But you're stuck with things as they stand now for the moment.
  • Ok thank you