"view file" and "show file" don't work for attachments

I have attached PDFs to several records, but when I click the button, nothing happens. At least it shows me the file name, so I can manually go and open the PDF by typing the file name into Spotlight (OS X), but it would be nice to take advantage of this feature.
  • Have you by any chance moved the files on disk since attaching them to Zotero? Zotero currently isn't very smart about handling missing files (no prompt, no user-visible error, no icon, etc.), so if the files are linked rather than copied and you move the originals, that's the behavior you'd get.

(We're considering other options for tracking moved files (e.g. saving actual filesystem links--which would follow the files--in the Zotero directory), but making it work cross-platform (or at all, given our options within Mozilla) may be difficult.)
  • Yes, that's the problem. From now on I'll make sure not to move the files. Thanks for developing the perfect app for my research needs!
  • On Linux, View File / Show File does not do anything - I don't even get the file's full path, just the filename. This is not listed in the FAQ as a known issue, so I just thought I want to mention this.
  • Forgot to mention: this is on Fedora Core 6 x86_64, using the official i686 Firefox 2 binaries (en_GB localization) from mozilla.org
  • I have a similar problem on Linux (xubuntu) running Firefox 2.0.0.3. The "Show File" button seems to give the me the correct path to the file but the "View File" button seems to do nothing. Does anyone know what viewer does it try to launch for PDF attachments? I have xpdf installed.
  • "View File" under Linux is broken in Beta 4 but is fixed on the development branch. It's a trivial fix, if you want to do it yourself.
  • That did the trick. Can now load the linked pdf. Thanks.