Empty response from server

Report ID: 524365071.

I seem unable to sync to the server today. Previous threads have said I should make sure that my tags are not long (which I have done). I have also cleared server data, reset server lock, and reset client, all to no avail. However, each time I try to sync Zotero I receive the same response: Empty response from server.
  • Same error was found too
  • today, 24 hours later, this problem seems solved, but I don't know why. If possible, I'd like to know if the problem was on my end or if there was a problem with the server. Thanks.
  • edited January 3, 2009
    Same problem here. I have a library on one machine that syncs just fine. Another machine refuses to sync. It used to work and I haven't changed anything. Deleting the whole library doesn't fix the problem.

Debug output:

zotero(3): Session ID not available -- logging in

zotero(3): Getting zotero sync password

zotero(3): HTTP POST version=2&username=sgls&password=******** to https;//sync.zotero.org/login

zotero(1): Empty response from server
  • I'm having the same problem. I hadn't synced for a few days, now this error. Any ideas water1974?
  • Same error here... I'm waiting and hoping for a server error
  • Same here...

Report ID: 1748527762
  • This error has returned again. I've been using the same computer all weekend, so I would expect there to not be syncing issues. However, Friday I had the problem, Saturday there was no problem, and now Sunday the problem has returned. I really have no idea where this problem came from.
  • Same problem here on Sunday at 5pm est. The problem is on my work computer. Oddly enough, my computer at home is synching fine. Tried all of the usual resetting methods.

Error ID: 74714685
  • Sync problems should be fixed in Sync Preview 3.6, now available. Please let us know if you continue to have trouble.
  • I have just downloaded 3.6 and synced: no problems were encountered. If this issue returns I'll send in an error report. Thank you for your help.
  • ID no: 374398348
    Same issue -- "empty response from server." How do I fix this?
  • Same for me. How can I download the sync preview 3.6?

Report ID 870693027
    Debug ID D64783840
  • Same here, just now at 1700 GMT

Report ID 1947179530
  • I'm running 2.0b7.4 on Firefox 3.5.3/Snow Leopard, and having exactly this issue. I'm also noticing that my library and CV have completely disappeared from my Zotero web page.

This is a little embarrassing, as I just tried to suggest Zotero as a bibliography tool for a librarian project. Could this be fixed quickly, please?
  • Just upgraded (since I couldn't sync) to v. 2.0b7.5 (running Windows XP). I get error "Empty response from server," # 2134849240

What are the usual fixes that people have mentioned here?
  • I am receiving the "empty response from server" message and cannot currently sync. error ID. 1965464653. I upgraded earlier today to 2.0.7.b5, but I think sync was working earlier, after I had upgraded.
  • That shold be 2.0b7.5, sorry.
  • I just tried to sync for the first time and got the same empty response error. Here is the error number 781425693. I am running 2.0b7.5
  • I also just upgraded to 2.0b7.5 and now can't access online libraries. "There are no items in this library" (for home library) or "Page not found" (for group libraries) is all I see.
  • I also get 'empty response from server' since I've upgraded to 2.0b7.5.

ID # 453362843
  • We're aware of the problem and working on it. Thanks for your patience.
  • I have just upgraded and was not able to sync - i got 'empty response from the server' - error # 116135681
  • I installed latest Zotero 2 on my work pc yesterday, and had no problem syncing, but only had a few entries. Today, upgraded my home PC to version 2 from 1, Tried syncing. Able to get entries from server, but not to upload to server. Green arrow rotates incessantly, but various messages 'Empty response from sync server' or 'getting updated data from sync server', but will not sync. Just got a new message 'upload accepted-waiting for sync server', but the green arrow still turns, and nothing seems to happen.
    Report ID 1301336657
    Will try again tomorrow. Is this because the server is too busy to cope? If so an appropriate message may be in order
  • edited March 5, 2010
    Previous syncing working fine. Just got this meassage indicating "empty response from sync server"

report ID = 1349066633

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Empty response from server' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Empty response from server' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "uncaught exception: Empty response from server"]

Error repeats each time attempt to sync.
  • 'empty response from server' is all I can get with a very recent install of latest Zotero. After I wrote this, and began asking for help, synching happened fine when I punched the green arrow button one more time. Conclusion: 1. writing here helps or[/and?] the server is sometimes too busy to be good for Zotero!
  • synced okay next time around

BTW Firefox 3.6
    Zotero 2.0

Busy I supect also, ignore message and try later!
  • edited March 5, 2010
    The groups page was down for a bit a few minutes ago. The same outage may have affected sync.
This discussion has been closed.