Scheme to create a bibliography with dozens of users having simultaneous edit rights

At my new work place, they are experimenting with EndNote to create and share a bibliography. I suggested they also consider Zotero.

The wish list is to have a common database with many dozens of users, who can all edit or add to the bibliography, simultaneously. Users will be in many cities, but all will have access to a common shared network drive/folder. I can imagine two methods, not sure if both will work or if one is better:

1. Create a common Zotero profile that every user will use to sync. Attachments are linked and point to the files residing on the networked drive. Paths are relative.

2. Create a closed group and users become members/admins with full edit rights. Attachments are linked and point to the files residing on the networked drive. Paths are relative.

I understand that the PDFs are shared, and thus only one person can open any PDF at a given time. But at least the database itself will allow for simultaneous access and editing. Right?

Will these need the Zotero directory to also be on the networked drive?
  • 2. Create a closed group and users become members/admins with full edit rights. Attachments are linked and point to the files residing on the networked drive. Paths are relative.
    This would be the right solution, except that the part in bold is not currently possible. Zotero does not allow linked file attachments in groups at this time, but this will become possible in the (hopefully not-too-distant) future.

If you do need to share file attachment and you cannot store them on Zotero servers, then (1) is currently the most feasible solution.
    I understand since the PDFs are common, only one person can open any PDF at a given time.
    Well, reading PDFs should be possible simultaneously, but editing/marking them up will not.
    But at least the database itself will allow for simultaneous access and editing. Right?
    yes, but automatic syncing should be enabled in order to avoid sync conflicts.
    Will these need the Zotero directory to also be on the networked drive?
    No. In fact, Zotero does not play along well with data directory being on a network drive. This may lead to data corruption, so it is not a recommended setup.
  • Thank, aurimas.

So, if we use Groups and Zotero servers, PDFs can be shared? Will that still be a common, synced copy for each PDF? Any shortcoming with Groups compared to Method (1)?

If the Zotero directory is on individual machines, what does that mean in terms of community database and sharing? Does that mean the full-text search is different for each user? How about attached notes? Guess I am trying to understand what becomes "individual" and what stays "common" in Method (1) when PDFs are on a networked drive but Zotero directory is on individual drives. Maybe nothing is individual since everyone is using the same Zotero profile. But want to be sure I am not missing something.
  • So, if we use Groups and Zotero servers, PDFs can be shared?
    correct.
    Will that still be a common, synced copy for each PDF?
    No and yes: There will be a copy of the PDF on the local machine, but changes to that will be synced between machines. So there is a difference here. Using a group, the file exists multiple times and changes are synced. Using a network drive with links, the file only exists once.
    Any shortcoming with Groups compared to Method (1)?
    you can use other sync that Zotero file storage with (1). On the other hand, files are accessible via zotero.org on the website via (2). Otherwise they're quite similar.

When you're syncing a library (so this applies to both 1) and 2)) all data is synced and--unless you disable it--so is the full text index. The only thing that stays "individual" are installed citation styles and other Zotero preferences.
  • Any shortcoming with Groups compared to Method (1)?
    you can use other sync that Zotero file storage with (1). On the other hand, files are accessible via zotero.org on the website via (2). Otherwise they're quite similar.
    Though one major advantage to using groups is that users also have an individual library that they can use for personal purposes (like adding articles that they still need to read, but may potentially be of interest to the group). They can also join additional groups without affecting other people.
  • Thanks, that is very helpful.

I am struggling to understand "you can use other sync that Zotero file storage with (1)." Seems there is a typo, but not sure.

Compared to personal library in method (1), will the group library restrict/reduce any features, such as tags, collections, saved searches, any other?

Regarding storage for groups, the group owner can get unlimited space (currently $120/yr) and that should be good, right? I looked at the institutional rates and it seems they are meant for individual storage for each user.
  • edited May 20, 2015
    That should have been
    you can use other sync methods than Zotero file storage with (1).
    hope that clarifies it.

Regarding storage for groups, the group owner can get unlimited space (currently $120/yr) and that should be good, right? I looked at the institutional rates and it seems they are meant for individual storage for each user.
    correct.
    Compared to personal library in method (1), will the group library restrict/reduce any features, such as tags, collections, saved searches, any other?
    no. All of those and all other features work.
  • Great. I tend to favor the Group approach (2) but have some lingering doubts about it.

On my computer, I have a personal library, and am trying to mirror it to a group that is visible online:
    https://www.zotero.org/groups/energy_and_emissions

One challenge has been keeping the group library updated with items I am adding to my personal library. I wonder, if the right approach is to just add items directly to the group library and never have them in my personal library? Is that better? I can then keep the personal library for just the 'personal' stuff. Another advantage of this approach is that the in-line citation add-on will not find two copies of each item.

I wonder what are the best practices of some of the most popular groups and their members in terms of personal library and group library.
  • yeah, updating between groups and personal libraries will hopefully work better in the future, but as for now I think saving directly to the group will work best for you.

I don't think it really makes sense to speak of "best practices" -- whether people want to have their group library separate or items in both personal and group really depends on the specifics. My sense is that the really big groups all treat those as entirely separate. People who use private groups for co-authoring, though, have all types of different approaches.