Open Office 3 Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit - no Zotero toolbar.

I'm trying to convert from Vista/Word2007/EndnoteX1 to Ubuntu 8.10 64bit/OpenOffice3/Zotero 1.5-sync3.2 because it runs slow on my Lenovo T61 and my hard drive is mysteriously filling up at a rapid speed (even after restore disabled). I'd very much appreciate your help to get Zotero working in OO.

To get the 1.0b3 extension to work, I carefully followed these instructions: http://www.zotero.org/documentation/openoffice_integration

Unfortunately, in OO there is no toolbar and the View-Toolbars menu does not list a Zotero toolbar. It does show in my extension manager and can be disabled and enabled. Phyton-uno, the Phyton interface for OpenOffice is installed.

As of note, when I installed the prior extension file 3 days ago that had a size of 48 kb (now 31.2Kb although listed as 48kb on the OO site), the toolbar would show but clicking it did not do anything.

Thanks much!

PS: Should I start messing with it as root? I found this in a September 07 post:
#

@sybille - yes

su,
cd to OOo program directory,
'unopkg gui' to open extensions manager,
'Add'
#

* CommentAuthorsybille
* CommentTimeSep 10th 2007

Well, first thing, I'd try uninstalling the extension by that same method, using 'unopkg gui' and 'Remove' as root.

In addition, I'd delete the settings directory created for root when using that method. In other words, you'd want to delete /root/.ooo-2.0 and its contents.

Once you've done this, you ought to be able to reinstall the extension as your regular mortal user, in which case it will be written to a subdirectory of ~/.ooo-2.0 (as opposed to /root/.ooo-2.0/, where it is now, I believe). So, once you've removed and deleted as suggested, restart OOo as your user and then use Tools -> Extensions Manager... to reinstall Zotero.oxt as that user.
  • I have installed the extension successfully under a similar platform (because OO.o 3 is not yet in Intrepid's default repository, it isn't clear which package you are using). I don't think it is a platform issue.

The plugin should be able to be installed both to your home directory as a normal user or globally as root. I would not install it as root if it isn't working locally.

You are correct that the filesize listed on the download page should be updated. The original extension file had a second copy of the Zotero.xba file which was not used & this has been removed for the new version.

You might go through the troubleshooting instructions. Launching oowriter from the command line & collecting std.err. might be informative.
  • Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately, I'm a noob.

"You might go through the troubleshooting instructions."
    I did that and checked whether UNO is installed (it is).

"Launching oowriter from the command line & collecting std.err. might be informative."
    How do you do that? Just entering oowriter in the command line fires up Writer but doesn't produce any error messages as far as I can tell.

Thanks again!
  • I believe that messages should go to std.err. by default. What I would do is:
    1. Close OO.o
    2. 'mkdir ~/oo.old && mv ~/.openoffice.org ~/oo.old'
    3. launch 'oowriter' from the command line & try to install the extension.
    (You can also try to use 'unopkg' directly, rather than using oowriter, but the results will likely be the same.)
  • I had similar problems.

First time I installed the zotero extension I got a toolbar in a separate window and closed it immediately. After that I couldnt get it back, even though i removed the extension, restarted oo and reinstalled.

Your solution solved it though Noksagt. Thanks!

I didnt have a .openoffice.org directory, only a .openoffice.org2 dir.

In case anyone's interested I've got the terminal output here:

$ mkdir ~/oo.old && mv ~/.openoffice.org2 ~/oo.old
    $ oowriter&
    [1] 7092
    $ pythonloader.Loader ctor
    pythonloader.Loader.writeRegistryInfo
    pythonloader: interpreting url vnd.sun.star.expand:$UNO_USER_PACKAGES_CACHE/uno_packages/OYrpyr_/Zotero.oxt/Scripts/ZoteroRPC.py
    pythonloader: after expansion file:///home/petter/.openoffice.org2/user/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages/OYrpyr_/Zotero.oxt/Scripts/ZoteroRPC.py
    checking for existence of /home/petter/.openoffice.org2/user/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages/OYrpyr_/Zotero.oxt/Scripts/pythonpath.zip
    pythonloader.Loader ctor
    pythonloader.Loader.writeRegistryInfo
    pythonloader: interpreting url vnd.sun.star.expand:$UNO_USER_PACKAGES_CACHE/uno_packages/OYrpyr_/Zotero.oxt/Scripts/ZoteroRPC.py
    pythonloader: after expansion file:///home/petter/.openoffice.org2/user/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages/OYrpyr_/Zotero.oxt/Scripts/ZoteroRPC.py
    pythonloader.Loader.activate
    $