Bibliography not sorting chronologically

Bibliography generated by Zotero is not sorting multiple items by the same author in chronological order. I've tried numerous styles including American Psychological Association 6th edition (which does sort chronologically). The author names in Zotero are identical (no extraneous middle initials, etc. that would lead to this).

So, it is coming out

Smith. 1952a. ...

_____. 1997. ...

_____. 1952b. ...

_____. 1987. ...

I created an error report, the number is 1327528917

But I don't think I'm generating zotero errors with this (the error you might see in the report comes from switching styles in the document, for testing purposes, although not sure why that produced an error).
  • Not sure I understand -- are you saying no Zotero style is sorting chronologically or that APA is and another style (which?) isn't?
  • No matter what style I use, the bibliography is not coming out in the proper sort order, which would be by author then date then title. The authors are sorting alphabetically, but within the entries by the same author I can't discern any rhyme or reason to the sort order. I tried APA and other styles where the expected sort order would be alpha by creator followed by chronological.
  • Sorry, I take that back. They are sorting alpha by article title within articles by the same author.
  • edited May 11, 2015
    Sorry to keep providing updates. APA and Annals of the Association of American Geographers exhibit this behavior. Agriculture and Human Values sorts "correctly". Wondering now if Annales and APA are meant to sort alpha by item title. EDIT: I've just looked at articles published in Annals and they are supposed to sort chronologically.
  • Annals is set to sort by title as secondary sort, so that would make sense (I'll double check whether that's incorrect and fix that if it is).

APA should sort ascending by date. Are you positive that's not the case?
  • Thanks. APA *is* sorting correctly. Sorry - I'm not sure how I got it wrong at first (I suspect I had not properly switched the style on the document and it was still using Annals).

Regarding Annals, I have numerous papers by Annals in my collection and they all sort alpha for authors then chronological. So it seems like the Annals style should be fixed.

Thanks so much and sorry for the misinformation.
  • Hi,

I just wanted to see if the correction had been made to the Annals of American Geographers style, so that it sorts chronologically within an author's publications.

Thanks for your help!
  • Hi - quick note - I've moved this discussion to "citation styles", since this is a citation styles issue. Hope that the AAAG style can be updated to sync author, date, alpha by title.

Thanks.
  • The style is now fixed. The updated version will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the style by clicking "Update Now" in the General tab of the Zotero preferences.

Styles also update automatically within 24hs for Zotero 4.0+
    In an existing document, you may have to switch to a different style and back for the changes to take effect once the style is updated.
    Any further problems please let us know & thanks for reporting
  • Hi adamsmith,

I have the same problem with Fish and Fisheries style (ver. 1/17/2015). The Bibliography does not sort chronologically:

See example here:

PEMRI (2016) Undang-Undang Republik Indonesia Nomor 7 Tahun 2016 Tentang Perlindungan Dan Pemberdayaan Nelayan, Pembudi Daya Ikan, dan Petambak Garam [Act of the Republic of Indonesia No. 7/2016 Pertaining to the Protection and Empowerment of Fishers, Fish Farmers, and Salt Farmers].

PEMRI (2008) Undang-Undang Republik Indonesia Nomor 17 Tahun 2008 Tentang Pelayaran [Act of the Republic of Indonesia No. 17/2008 Pertaining To Shipping].

PEMRI (2014) Undang-Undang Republik Indonesia Nomor 23 Tahun 2014 Tentang Pemerintah Daerah [Act of the Republic of Indonesia No. 23/2014 Pertaining To Regional Government].

PEMRI (2004) Undang-Undang Republik Indonesia Nomor 31 Tahun 2004 Tentang Perikanan [Act of the Republic of Indonesia No. 31/2004 Pertaining to Fisheries].

I think it sorted based on the title of the statute (i.e., the number of the statute), but not on the year of the statute publication.

Could you please help? Thanks.