Zotfile and Symbolic Links Question

Is there a need or safety advantage to using symbolic links in some way to facilitate the use of Dropbox for the storage of .pdf files (but not Zotero data) when using Zotfile to manage pdf storage?

I've followed instructions to setup Zotfile. But those instructions made no mention of symbolic links. But I've seen others say that symbolic links is the safest way to avoid sync problems. I wish to know whether or not that is still required with the latest version of Zotfile.

Thank you.
  • no. ZotFile and symlinks are basically alternative ways of getting files to the dropbox folder safely. If you use ZotFile, you don't need symlinks.
  • Thanks, adamsmith!
  • Please how do I do ensure that the sub directory created in the zotero storage directory is removed? I noticed that when I drag attachments into my library and then use zotfile renaming, the directory in the zotero storage is not remove.
  • why do you want the subdirectory removed? Note that it may contain (potentially hidden) files that Zotero uses for full text sync.
  • May be let me explain myself well.
    Zotero creates a copy of an attachment and place it in a random eight digit folder and saves it in zotero data storage.
    My question is if I delete this item form my library, how do I clean up this folder from the storage?
    Also when I use Zotfile to rename an attachment, zotfile does the renaming and move it to a custom folder as a link. I expected the folder to be removed from the storage.
  • I understand what you're saying and I was answering to that specifically.

If you look at the folders left in storage with hidden files shown, I'd expect you to see two small files (.ft-info and .ft-cache I believe). Zotero uses those files to sync the indexed text content of those files so that you can use full text search on those files on all synced computers.

My question remains -- why do you care about the presence of those folders in zotero/storage? You really shouldn't try to "clean up" anything in the zotero folder. It's best left alone.
  • Thank you for explanation. I initially was thinking that the folders will occupy much of my storage space considering the fact that I have my attachment moved into my customized location and leaving behind the folder uncleaned.
  • empty folders take up almost no space on your harddisk and no space at all on your online zotero storage.
  • Thanks adams. Will be grateful if you could explain to me what this means from the zotfile preference. I tried setting up but not noticing what these mean.

"Source Folder for Attaching new Files
    ZotFile can add the most recently modified file from the Firefox download or another folder as a new attachment to the currently selected Zotero item."

And

"Location of Files
    ZotFile can move new and existing attachments to different locations. You can either store a copy of the attachment files in Zotero, which allows you to sync files to the Zotero server, or move the file to a custom folder and link that location from Zotero"

Thank you.
  • Forget about the Source folder. You likely don't need it. Just set it to the download folder of our main browser for simplicity's sake.

Location of Files is presumably what you're using already, so I don't quite understand your question about that.
  • I think I am now ok.
    Thank you very much.