OpenOffice plug-in error

Hello there!

I´m running Fedora 7 on a x86-64 machine. Logged as root I´m trying to install the Zotero extension (1.04a) for OpenOffice.org (2.2.0). Then, in OpenOffice, Tools - Extension Manager-My Extensions and click Add to install the uncompressed Zotero.oxt. In the middle of installation the following message popped-up:

´´ImplementationRegistration::registerImplementation()
The service com.sun.star.loader.Python cannot be instantiated´´

I close the mesage and the installation progress bars proceeds until the end. However, when I tried to enable the plug-in the above message popped up again and the plug-in remained disabled.
How to deal with this issue?
Thanks in advance.
  • Hello there again!

I´m the same who wrote the post above. There have been two days and no one has made a comment. Very likely I haven´t been clear enough. Another possibility is that it was understandable but for one reason or the other no answer was provided.

If you are reading this I will appreciate you to answer 1 if i wasn´t clear enough or 2 if it was clear but for some reason you won´t give any explanation which, by the way, keeps being the best thing for me. I mean, to obtain some help.

Assume this as an experiment.

Thanks in advance.
  • edited September 13, 2007
    I´m running Fedora 7 on a x86-64 machine. Logged as root I´m trying to install the Zotero extension (1.04a) for OpenOffice.org (2.2.0).
    Why are you logged as root? If I'm understanding what you mean there, it's a very bad idea.

Also, I don't know how you're using SELinux in Fedora, but there may well be a policy that is stopping the installation if run as root. That's just a guess - I'm not a Fedora or a SELinux user.

In any case, root is not required to install the Zotero extension and there's no good reason to run Firefox, Zotero, and OOo as root. So, please try installing the extension as a regular user.
  • edited October 15, 2007
    I got the same or similar error trying to install the extension in StarOffice (Google Pack version), Windows XP. I didn't have python installed on the system. I am now installing python 2.4 and OpenOffice 2.3 and hopefully I will be able to install the extension in OpenOffice. Perhaps with StarOffice being used more since the Google Pack inclusion you could tell people how to get the extension working in StarOffice?
  • I have experienced the same problem today when trying to install the plugin on identical machine, OS and OOf (fedora 7, amd64), but NOT as root. I could not either do it at my office where I run Fedora Core 6 on amd64 machine. At the office I tried to install the plugin twice: as a user and as root. There I got a message stating that it could not enable (or run ?) the python script (you know, the .py one). Python comes built-in with the OS, so its not a python problem (or could be if there is a python version issue ...)

Does anybody from Zotero knows what's wrong with the object "tardebut" and I saw failing ? I hope he and I are not the only Fedora (amd64) users in the world that want to use Zotero !
  • I had (maybe) a similar problem - in the first try the Zotero.oxt extension installation just hanged and when restarted the OOo, the extension was present but not activated. I activated it and it worked (but without icons though, only text labels). Tried this on another machine, and the results were same. (Ubuntu 7.10, OOo2.3, Ff 2.006)
  • chazmatazz:

I, too, was using StarOffice and having problems. The reason is that Sun does not package the UNO-Python bridge with Staroffice. I had to switch to the OO.org 2.3. Zotero plugin installed just fine.

Regards.
  • If you haven't resolved this yet, try updating the openoffice.org-pyuno package. This worked for me.
  • I had the exact same problem with Fedora 8 x86-64 and the new 1.02 plugin/extension. Solved by installing the openoffice.org-pyuno package.
  • Installing openoffice.org-pyuno.i386 fixed this problem for me. I'm using Fedora Core 7.

As root:

yum install openoffice.org-pyuno.i386
  • Hello:

Well, Im windows xp user, and I have staroffice.

Can I use the plugin de zotero for openoffice in staroffice?

Thanks,
  • Extension working fine for Ubuntu 7.10 with OpenOffice 2.3 after deactivating and again activating the extension in the extensions manager.
    No additional packages necessary.
  • I got the same message with StarOffice 8 on XP (running on an Asus Eee 901)
  • On Debian Lenny, installing the package 'python-uno' does the trick.
  • I wanted to mention, on Ubuntu Intrepid, installing the package 'python-uno' is the solution.

(I wish I had known this a month ago)