(1) Support for ancient/Medieval texts and (2) Link to other editions/original language

These are two feature requests, but they are linked, at least in the way I would use them.

(1) I know classical texts, etc. have been discussed here before, and that there was some hesitance to add a new item type. In the humanities, however, most style guides give separate guidelines for the use of classical texts or the like, and they are very freqently used in a large number of disciplines (classics, ancient and Medieval history, theology, biblical studies, art history, philosophy, etc.). A seperate item type would allow for the different conventions of the relevant styles. E.g., Chicago does not use "ibid" for successive references to a classical text, but does for secondary literature, and the translator or editor of a modern edition of a classical text would not always be included in a reference to that text, but would be listed in a bibliography.

Such a type could use existing locators, I think.
If this is a possibility, I can provide more detail.

(2) I think the ability to link two items in various relationships would be broadly useful, for example (a) an English translation of a French book, or (b) a second edition where publication information for the first edition should be included, or (c) a journal artical reprinted in a collection of essays, as specified in many style guides.

This would also allow a classical text, for example, to be linked to both a modern translation and to one or more critical editions of the text.

The first, I think, is a more pressing need than the second.

Thanks
  • At least from my side I'm by now fully convinced that we need an item type for classical/ancient whateverwe'llcallthem texts. I'll see that we add this to the list of wanted changes:
    https://github.com/ajlyon/zotero-bits/issues?page=1&state=open - fbennett already has classical texts in his MLZ fork of Zotero IIRC.
    Item type and field updates will most likely be in Zotero 4.2

For links between items you can use the "related" feature in Zotero, though there is no way to use that in actual citations. Semantic/Hierarchic item types are a longstanding planned feature, but nothing that will happen within the next year or so.
  • Any update on the issue of "semantic/hierarchical" item types? Is anyone actively thinking about this? I'd be happy to provide use cases for my discipline and other help I can.
  • The issue at this point is almost entirely coding, not conceptual. Closer to implementation (still ways out) the "thinking about" part will likely become more important again, but that's currently not what's delaying this.
  • Thanks for the update, adamsmith. I posted some musings about how this might solve other issues here: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/3673/3/original-date-of-publication