Entering items manually using TAB

Hi there,

I'm quite new to Zotero, yet very much enjoying it. As my collection of references and articles grows, I've come across an irregularity that I cannot explain. Maybe someone can help me? Sorry, if this is too simple.

Here's what I do:
When creating a new item manually, first, I select the type of item I want to create, and then I start entering title, author, publication and so on.

To navigate from one line to the next, I use 'TAB'. (Enter title, press 'TAB', enter author, press 'TAB', etc.) Sometimes, this works fine. At other times, pressing 'TAB' finishes the entry process and creates the item. Thus, I have to click on every line (twice) to enter information.
Why is this so? I would like to find out why sometimes TAB moves to the next line, and sometimes finishes the entry process. Is it dependant on the position of the mouse? Is it random?

Thank you for any comment or help.
  • Does anyone have any idea? The issue is still unsolved. Thanks!
  • I can't reproduce this. You'd probably need to find some consistent pattern for us to fix it.
  • Isn't this the same issue as the one I reported here? To reproduce:
    You type or paste the Title and hit enter or tab to go to the Author field; you type the first letters of the surname, select the right author from the shortlist, and there is no time to hit enter or tab because suddenly the focus is lost and you're not editing any fields anymore.
  • I've commented on this as well.There is an inconstistency in tab and return behavior when users are manually entering author information. It is a rather serious UI/Interface bug. See Inconsistent "return key/tab" behavior
  • In the latest 1.0 branch and trunk builds, focus now remains in the current field after hitting Enter when using two-field autocomplete. The fix will be included in 1.0.8.

Closing this thread. Follow up on the Inconsistent "return key/tab" behavior thread if necessary.
This discussion has been closed.