Unwanted capitalization of minor word in title

In my dissertation, Zotero wants to capitalize the word "of" in the following title:

Young Catholic America: Emerging Adults In, Out Of, and Gone from the Church.

Is there a way to keep this from happening?
  • there's a workaround if you're in a rush, but this looks like a bug to me. It's happening because of the comma.
    Title case _should_ always capitalize the last Word in a title
    ("What Are Young Catholics Coming out Of?") and, I believe the subtitle,
    but not, as appears currently the case, every word followed by any punctuation.

fbennett should take a look at this, maybe he knows what's going on and/or if there's a reason for this. My guess would be that it's just a poorly specified regular expression, in which case the fix would be easy.
  • I just defended the dissertation yesterday, but still have a few days before I submit the final version. Let me know what the best way to proceed is. Thanks.
  • that's fantastic. Congratulations. The best way to proceed for you is to the next bar or other type of celebratory environment...

As for capitalization, you can work around this by entering the title as
    Young catholic America: Emerging adults <span class="nocase">in, out of</span>, and gone from the church.

We'll still fix this, but that way you won't have to worry about this.
  • Thanks. Heading out for some seafood tonight (Boston-style).

I tried the work-around, but it de-capitalized the words "in" and "out." Is there a way that I can re-capitalize those, so that the title reads exactly like this:

Young Catholic America: Emerging Adults In, Out of, and Gone from the Church
  • oh, didn't realize that. Of course
    Young catholic America: Emerging adults In, Out <span class="nocase">of</span>, and gone from the church.
  • Thanks. That worked now. I only have one more issue (I think), but it might be a bit more difficult. In one of the notes, I have the following phrase: For a description of the early years of this development, see Kevin M. Taylor, “The Religious Education Association and the Progressive Educational Thought of John Dewey, 1906-1913,” unpublished manuscript, (June 6, 2014), Microsoft Word file.

From what I understand according to an example in the style guide, for an unpublished manuscript in Chicago 16, there should be no comma after the numbers 1906-1913, and the opening parenthesis should be placed before the word "unpublished". Any quick way to do this? Thanks.
  • where are you looking in CMoS? (that'll save me the time to search).
  • Not sure, since that was a note I made to myself a while ago. I'll try to get to the library later tonight or early tomorrow to find the specific page.
  • unless you have access to chicagomanualofstyle.org, don't worry about it, I'll check.
  • no access. thanks for checking it.
  • It's on p. 747 (section 14.225). The example starts 1. Nora Bradburn, . . .
  • Just checking to see if there's any updata on this. I plan to submit the dissertation by the end of the weekend, and will just unlink the codes and fix it manually if need be. But going forward, it would be great if it were formatting correctly as I revise it for various publications. Thanks.
  • I'll try tomorrow, but can't promise, sorry.
  • okay. thanks.
  • this is fixed now, sorry I couldn't make it happen faster.

The updated version will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the style by clicking "Update Now" in the General tab of the Zotero preferences.

Styles also update automatically within 24hs for Zotero 4.0+
    In an existing document, you may have to switch to a different style and back for the changes to take effect once the style is updated.
    Any further problems please let us know & thanks for reporting