PDFTOTEXT indexing error Code 80070002 (Zotero Firefox)

Hi all, I searched the forum and not found posts regarding this issue. I've installed Zotero Firefox (Windows 7 Enterprise version 6.1) and PDF-indexing plug-ins (pdftotext and pdfinfo) with no incidents until 2 days ago when I get a pdftotext error on every PDF added to Zotero (from the Web, disk, etc)

A screen is displayed and following date:
- Title: Windows Script Host
- Script: full path where pdftotext.vbs is located (which is the right one)
- Line: 24
- Char: 1
- Error: The system cannot find the file specified
- Code: 80070002
- Source (null)

From that very first momento, PDF-indexing and re-indexing started to fail in all PDF attachments, either existing (before the issue) or new PDFs.

Appreciate any feedback/help. Thanks all in advance. :)
  • Zotero rolled out a hotfix that should take care of this last night. Make sure you have version 4.0.26.3 (the 3 being the key part) installed and try again. Let us know if that doesn't work.
  • No, this would be new in 4.0.26.3. mimtab, can you provide a Debug ID for adding a PDF?
  • Also, if you open your Zotero data directory, what pdfinfo*/pdftotext* files do you see?
  • I am having the same issue reported above.

Here is the Debug ID: D204505679.

P.S. Thanks for clarifying the nature of my query, Dan.
  • Also, in my data directory I see the following:
    pdftotext-Win32
    pdftotext-Win32.exe.version
  • Do you not see pdftotext.vbs? (It's possible it's hidden by the default Windows settings.) What about pdfinfo* files?

Is this on either a work computer with security restrictions or a home computer with security software installed? If the latter, try temporarily disabling your security software to see if that makes a difference.
  • I do see the VBScript file after changing the default settings.

I also see the same three files for pdfinfo (the VBS, app and version).

It's a home computer with security software, but disabling it does not help.
  • edited April 8, 2015
    Same error here. Standalone and Win7. (Before coming here, I click on the Search for updates button in the Z Prefs.)

Z Data dir:
    pdfinfo.vbs
    pdfinfo-Win32.exe
    pdfinfo-Win32.exe.version
    pdftotext.vbs
    pdftotext-Win32.exe
    pdftotext-Win32.exe.version

DebugID: D2146158390
    (disabling Microsoft Security Essentials did not change anything)
  • What happens if you double-click on pdftotext-Win32.exe in the data directory?
  • It opens and closes immediately: http://imgur.com/LKuLi99
  • OK, and how about if you start cmd.exe from Start -> Run, drag pdftotext.vbs to the command window (so that it pastes a path), press space, and then drag pdftotext-Win32.exe to that (so that it pastes another path), and then press Enter?
  • While we're looking into this further, I've pushed out a new version of Zotero for Firefox, 4.0.26.4, that reverts to the previous version of the PDF tools on Windows (within 24 hours or after a manual upgrade from the preferences). A version for Standalone will be available shortly. Sorry for the inconvenience.
  • Same error:
    A screen is displayed and following data:
    - Title: Windows Script Host
    - Script: full path where pdftotext.vbs is located (which is the right one)
    - Line: 24
    - Char: 1
    - Error: The system cannot find the file specified
    - Code: 80070002
    - Source (null)
  • Hi, thank you all for your posts.

As requested, find below some info before running a test enabling debug mode

<<< Zotero Firefox version installed: vers 4.0.26.3

<<<Zotero Data Directory contents pdfinfo*/pdftotext*)
    [File name, type and size as re-installed yesterday (April 8th)]
    - pdfinfo (VBScript Script File, 1 KB)
    - pdfinfo-Win32 (Application, 858 KB)
    - pdfinfo-Win32.exe.version (VERSION File, 1 KB)
    - pdftotext (VBScript Script File, 1 KB)
    - pdftotext-Win32 Application, 919 KB)
    - pdftotext-Win32.exe.version (VERSION File, 1 KB)

I run a test minutes ago, and unfortunately same outcome as raised already on PDF-Indexing (log sent to Zotero - Debug Id D753979776)

Hope it helps,

Thank you all again for your help
  • To continue previous post:

Zotero data directory contents: file name(type, size)
    - pdfinfo (VBSScript Script File, 1KB)
    - pdfinfo-Win32 (Application, 858 KB)
    - pdfinfo-Win32.exe.version (VERSION File, 1 KB)
    - pdftotext (VBSScript Script File, 1KB)
    - pdftotext-Win32 (Application, 919 KB)
    - pdftotext-Win32.exe.version (VERSION File, 1 KB)

I run a test minutes ago, same issue on PDF indexing (Debug ID D753979776). Thank you all again
  • mimtab: upgrade Zotero to 4.0.26.4
  • Hi all, please ignore my last 2 posts (sent before reading Dan's last post). Following your instructions, I've installed last Zotero Firefox version (4.0.24.4) and it is reindexing PDFs again.
    Truly appreciate for your support. Regards