Zotero crashes on citation insertion

I am having problem trying to insert a citation. I'm using Zotero LibreOffice Integration 3.5.8 on ubuntu 14.04, libreoffice Version: 4.2.7.2 Build ID: 420m0(Build:2).
When I open the document and insert a citation for the first time, everything goes well. Trying to insert a second citation (and on) gives the error below. If I close Zotero standalone (4.0.21.2)/firefox/chrome (I tried them all) and open a new zotero session, the citation will insert the first time, but not the second time. I tested it in two different computers. It always gives the following error.

Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

An error occurred communicating with Zotero:
com.sun.star.uno.RuntimeException: End of content node doesn't have the proper start node
at com.sun.star.bridges.jni_uno.JNI_proxy.dispatch_call(Native Method)
at com.sun.star.bridges.jni_uno.JNI_proxy.invoke(JNI_proxy.java:183)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy14.createTextCursorByRange(Unknown Source)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.ReferenceMark.removeCode(ReferenceMark.java:128)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.ReferenceMark.setCode(ReferenceMark.java:270)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.CommMessage.execute(CommMessage.java:131)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.CommMessage.getBytes(CommMessage.java:40)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.CommServer.run(CommServer.java:60)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
'An error occurred communicating with Zotero:
com.sun.star.uno.RuntimeException: End of content node doesn't have the proper start node
at com.sun.star.bridges.jni_uno.JNI_proxy.dispatch_call(Native Method)
at com.sun.star.bridges.jni_uno.JNI_proxy.invoke(JNI_proxy.java:183)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy14.createTextCursorByRange(Unknown Source)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.ReferenceMark.removeCode(ReferenceMark.java:128)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.ReferenceMark.setCode(ReferenceMark.java:270)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.CommMessage.execute(CommMessage.java:131)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.CommMessage.getBytes(CommMessage.java:40)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.CommServer.run(CommServer.java:60)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
' when calling method: [zoteroIntegrationField::setCode]
  • start by updating to the most recent version of Zotero, i.e. 4.0.23 Standalone. If that doesn't help, run through these:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#debugging_broken_documents
    I'd be pretty optimistic about 3.
  • Thanks Adam. Problem solved when I cancelled the control of changes. I updated to 23 anyway. Best wishes
  • For me Tracking Changes (LibreOffice) seemed to be the culprit.

But since Tracking Changes is such a useful feature, has there been any work towards eliminating the bugs that surface when it's enabled?