Integrating old EndNote citations & bibliography

My apologies if this has been dealt with previously; I'm new here.

My problem, briefly, is that I'm returning to my PhD work after a several-year break. I have three completed chapters (30,000 words) written in MS Word, using EndNote v4, then v6, for the bibliography and in-text citations. However, I now use OpenOffice (and obviously Firefox & Thunderbird), and even the latest version of EndNote (X2) doesn't appear to be compatible with OpenOffice.

My options therefore seem to be:
1. Buy new copies of MS Word and EndNote, which I really don't want to have to do.
2. Import my old Word chapters into OpenOffice, and use a different biblio package such as Zotero, which I understand is compatible with OpenOffice.

My question is this: Would Zotero be able to recognise all the EndNote citations and bibliography, and adapt them into its own system?

And a second question: Is Zotero easy to learn and use? I have 12 months to finish my research and write the remaining 70,000 words of my thesis; I need as little additional hassle as possible!

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

David
  • For your first question. Zotero will not be able to recognise the Endnote citations and bibliography, in your word documents.

To your second question. Zotero is much easier to use than other bibliographic management tools.
  • Thanks. That's a huge shame. It was looking good until then!

I've just discovered that OpenOffice itself is developing a Bibliographic facility (which really makes more sense, for my needs, than a Firefox add-on, however useful it is!); I need to find out more about that.

Thanks again.
  • edited September 2, 2008
    The openoffice bibliographic facility is miles away from where Zotero is now and I've been following its lack of develpement for years now. In its current state for openoffice 2.4 it's effectively unusable and I don't think openoffice 3 is going to offer any immediate improvement.

Although you can't simply convert endnote references in a word document into zotero bib references, you should be able to import your endnote collection into Zotero so that it would then be "just" a matter of converting each endnote reference into a zotero one.

As somebody who's done this, it's an unpleasant, irritating job but shouldn't take more than a day absolute maximum (for three chapters probably only a morning); which in the context of a phd isn't that bad. On the plus side, once it's done, the amount of time you then save in not having to worry about how your bibliography is being managed is huge.

Zotero and the oo plugin are very easy to use and having been in your situation, I can recommend that you investigate further.

Regards, Jon.
  • Thanks, Jon. What is really good about forums like these is getting real advice from real people who have been in similar situations! I shall avoid OpenOffice Bibliographic for the next year or three (by which time the thesis will be done -- fingers crossed).

I'll definitely look further into Zotero -- but I've also been advised to check out Bibus, which like Zotero (but unlike EndNote) is free, and works with OpenOffice -- and apparently does have a way of recognising and incorporating existing EndNote refs and bibliography. So it's probably one or the other.

There is a future, and I shall get there somehow...
  • edited September 2, 2008
    I'm the co-project lead for the OOo bibliographic project. I'd follow Jon's suggestions.

My own view (that not everyone shares) is that it makes no sense to build in an integrated bibliographic application*, and that it's better instead to improve the infrastructure of OOo (and OpenDocument) to make it easier for third-party applications to offer the same (ideally compatible) functionality. To that end, OOo 3.1 (probably) will be getting a killer new metadata system based on ODF 1.2 (which I worked on) that would be perfect for applications like Bibus and Zotero to exploit.

As for Bibus vs. Zotero, it depends on your needs. If you're in the social sciences or humanities, I'd say that Zotero is the better choice. Otherwise, Bibus might be an option. But, I don't think the conversion of Endnote citations should be a deal-breaker for you; there are many other issues involved in a good bibliographic system.

* the existing bibliographic system in OOo is unusable
  • Thanks to all of you for your help and advice.

I downloaded Zotero yesterday, discovered how absurdly easy it is to grab bibliographic info from e.g. amazon, then followed the instructions to import my old EndNote bibliography. No hassles, and new entries merged seamlessly into the existing bibliography. And it is so straightforward to use! I've integrated it with OpenOffice -- again, no hassles -- and have done a few trial runs of inserting citations -- again, very easy.

Compared to the admittedly old version of EndNote I used a few years ago, this is bliss.

The next task is to go through the 30,000 words of my three completed chapters and change all the old in-text citations to Zotero citations. I've done a few, and it's easy enough to do, but as there are nearly a hundred pages with often four or five to a page, it's going to take a while. I don't suppose there's any way of speeding it up...?
  • As I said earlier, unfortunately, no there isn't. Though I've found beer makes it *feel* like it's speeded up :)

The problem is that it is simply not trivial to *reliably* automate this kind of thing for legacy referencing. At some point, hopefully the next release of the wp plug-ins (I'm not sure about exactly when this feature is planned), the referencing is going to switch to using URIs (Unique Reference Identifiers) which will make your documents truly portable and shareable. Currently Zotero isn't even capable of recognising the references that have been generated from a different Zotero database, so getting it to recognise Endnote references ...

Oh and while we're chucking advice around, let me recommend COPAC over Amazon for reliable and complete bibliography details

http://copac.ac.uk/

Regards, Jon
  • I can see this is a forum I shall be spending some time on -- the friendliness, helpfulness and quality of comment is way above standard!

Thanks for the Copac link. I've been a member of the British Library for a couple of years, for more obscure research, but I don't know how I managed not to know about Copac -- clearly an invaluable resource. (I only used Amazon because I happened to have that open in a tab when I first downloaded Zotero, so it was convenient to see how automatic input worked.) Also with Copac, unlike some other online academic resources (JSTOR, for example), you don't have to jump through all sorts of membership hoops to use it. Excellent.

As for changing the in-text citations, it looks like one of those jobs to drop into for an odd hour from time to time...
  • Before changing to Zotero I used EndNote 9 with OpenOffice 2.4. It works. So if you don't want to reformat the references you should stick to what you have and know how to master well. There is a para in the EndNote manual on working with "other" text treatment progs (= non Word).

My impression is that Zotero is ok for rapid input from the Internet while EndNote might be better when it comes to managing large data bases. I write this because after several hundred references and quite some links and copies of pdf files Zotero gets slow.
  • Two points I would like to make here.

I have just imported ~10,000 references from Endnote to Zotero and I have only found a perceptible lag when opening the main collection for the first time (in firefox)-- this takes ~4 seconds compared to 2 seconds in Endnote. For the added functionality I can live with the loss of about 4 hours in a year; hey, I lost more time importing citations into Endnote via. Import Files which I now can do in Zotero with a click of the button.

The second point is that I have always considered it dangerous to use any database - e.g. Zotero, Oracle, MySQL, Zotero, Endnote - to store pdf files. Files in files create problems. People should store the pdf files in a structured directory system and insert the appropriate URL to this file into the URL field in Zotero. That way if you ever loose your Zotero Database you don't actually loose you reference collection.

Personally, I have not gone totally paperless. I print the papers I am interested in and store them in a sequential library. The location and index number for each book, reference or map is recorded in my Zotero Database. If I want to reread or check a quote I pull the reference from the library using the codes stored in Zotero.
  • The second point is that I have always considered it dangerous to use any database - e.g. Zotero, Oracle, MySQL, Zotero, Endnote - to store pdf files. Files in files create problems
    ...which is why Zotero doesn't save any files within the database. All files are stored within the 'storage' subdirectory of the Zotero data directory.

If PDF indexing is enabled, Zotero will currently store the full-text word index within the database, which can greatly increase its size. If that's a concern, you can turn off full-text indexing. We'll be switching to the native SQLite full-text indexer at some point and using a separate database, which should make this more efficient and keep the main database smaller.

So this is not a valid reason not to import PDFs. Of course, some people prefer to maintain their own directory structures, which is fine, though Zotero will eventually have the ability to dynamically rename all imported files based on item metadata (and it won't do this for linked files). If you did want to store files outside the Zotero directory, I'm not sure why you'd manually insert file:// URLs rather than using Zotero's linking feature...
  • Good points. As I said I don't store my PDFs electronically, so some of these nuances have evaded me so far. It is good to know that Zotero does not store the PDFs in its database but rather a distinct directory.
  • Hi, in response to Jon's comment above I had a look at COPAC and thought I'd report back that a real limitation in COPAC, at least for me, is that they only record the names of all authors when there are up to three (they confirmed this to me). If there are more they only record the first authors name and use et al. This might be okay in some disciplines, but the American Psychological Association publication manual says to include up to six authors names, and this seems closer to practice in journals that I read/publish in. Consequently, COPAC might not be very useful for some disciplines.

cheers,

Nathan