Citing secondary sources

Hello there,

Can anyone give me some advice as to how to cite secondary sources? I use the Harvard method (name, date).

I am unable to find an original paper, and therefore am quoting the authors who is cited in a different paper. so my citation should look something like 'smith 1942 in Jones 2006' with the bibliographic detail showing the reference for the actual source.

thank you

Emma
  • There is currently no really clean way to do this. There are plans for more hierarchical item relationships which could resolve this, but for the time being you will need to manually edit this reference in your project.
  • ok, thanks for your comment - good to know I wasnt missing something obvious!

This would definitely be a feature to add to future versions!

thank you
  • @ Tjowens: But isn't this particular usage not a matter of the item relationships (hierarchical or otherwise) in the data---since the items are only incidentally related by a passing reference of one in another---but a matter which would be addressed by the WP macros (and unfortunately possibly the styles) themselves? Just because X cites Y, and I want to cite X's version of Y's quote or idea, doesn't really mean I want to mark that relation in my database permanently, at least not in a way that would invoke the reference automatically in other contexts.

@emcl: once you do figure out how this kind of subsequent citation should look in your citation style, you can try clicking the 'edit citation' button in the Word/OOo macro. Even if it's not automatic, you should be able to get it to look right.
  • @Scot: There are probably a few ways to handle this. While emcul's example is really the reason why we want more relationship/hierarchical data relationships I do think it would resolve his issue. Your right that it depends on the specific case. If the only way to cite a specific source was through a secondary material it would make sense to make that relationship permanent.
  • Just for the record, this is my first post here, English is not my mother tongue, and I was trying to figure out a way to do what emma asked, few years ago. I'll see, if there was not any solution till now so far, if I can add something here.

I wanted to do the same as the OP, but with Chicago. Im using the last version of Zotero. Through trial and error, I achieved to make it work, with this style.

I first inserted a new citation, there I choosed the author whom has the citation i needed from another author, then I wrote on the prefixe space and wrote something like "as citated in" (pointing out the page number on the page space option). It worked just fine so far.

I hope it helps,

Regards,

Ever
  • As described above, I also use the prefix or suffix field for secondary sources. Depending on the situation, something like:
    prefix: Johnson in [zotero citation]
    or
    suffix: [zotero citation] after Miller

But now my problem comes in with using ibid. citations. E.g.

(Peters 2012) ...
    (ibid.) ...
    (Johnson 1980 in Peters 2012) ...
    (ibid.) <<< But here I actually only *meant* Peters 2012, but strictly speaking this refers to the whole prior citation. Of course zotero doesn't know what I've done in prefixes or suffixes, so this solution is not optimal.