doi should be included only for on-line articles (not for articles included in a print issue)

When using Zotero to create the list of references of an article to be published in the following journal:
MAGNETIC RESONANCE MATERIALS IN PHYSICS BIOLOGY AND MEDICINE (MAGMA)

the format of the references is not fully conform to the instructions to authors of this journal since the doi number is included for ALL references of the list. To be fully conform, the doi should be given ONLY for those references available on-line but not yet included in a print issue. However, for references already published in a print issue (and hence referenced by a volume and page numbering) the doi should be removed. I am wondering if this problem is due to the configuration set provided by zotero ... or if there is a way to obtain the correct format. Did someone find a solution to solve this issue ? If there is no easy way to solve it, would it be possible to correct this issue permanently in the configuration settings for this specific journal ?
  • (we're looking at this, there are some pretty general considerations underlying this, so it'll take a couple of more days).
  • I posted my question above on June 5 and I was really glad to receive an immediate and encouraging feed-back, suggesting that my request was under consideration ...

However, time has passed and as of today, August 1st, I did get back any new feed-back ...I am hece wondering if this issue is still active.

Could you please let me know if you are still trying to solve this problem ? Could you please give me some news about its status ?

Thanks in advance for your help!
  • yes, we're still on this, sorry. Problem is that this style is just a generic style from Springer and Springer themselves helped to create the original style, so we're trying to figure out what they actually want.

Unfortunately, style guides are often not clear on this. E.g. Elsevier's style guides look similar, but they do prefer DOIs included.
  • Thank you for the update!

Please note that the instructions to authors of MAGMA journal have been recently updated by Springer and now clearly state that the DOI should NOT be included (excepting for papers not yet included in a print issue and available "on-line" only). By the way, please also note that the authors submitting to MAGMA a paper where the list of references includes DOI number for ALL references (this is currently the case for authors using Zotero) are asked to correct the list according to the instructions.

From your answer, I understand that you contacted a person in charge of ALL Springer journals, not the person in charge of MAGMA journal in particular and this may be the source of the misunderstanding. MAGMA template should be on basis of the instructions of MAGMA, but this is not valid for other Springer journals. Therefore, the responsible editorial of MAGMA is the person to be contacted to get the answer to that question (see Springer/MAGMA website).

Hope this helps to solve the problem and now waiting for your next feed-back...

Great thanks again for your support !
  • Hello,

I am still waiting for a feed-back following my last message posted 1 month ago...May I kindly ask you if you made any progress to solve the situation ?

Thanks in advance for you help and follow-up on this issue !
  • Could you please give some news about the status of this request ?

As previously said, the instructions to authors of MAGMA journal have been updated by Springer themselves and now clearly show with exemples that the DOI should NOT be included (excepting for papers not yet included in a print issue and available "on-line" only).

Therefore, what is now the pending issue preventing you from updating the style accordingly ?...

Great thanks in advance for your feed-back.
  • OK, sorry for the long delay, this is now finally up without DOI.

The updated version will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the style by clicking "Update Now" in the General tab of the Zotero preferences.

Styles also update automatically within 24hs for Zotero 4.0+
    In an existing document, you may have to switch to a different style and back for the changes to take effect once the style is updated.
    Any further problems please let us know & thanks for reporting
  • Great news !!!

Thanks a lot for your efforts to solve this issue!

Will let you knwow should I have any further related question...
  • Does that mean that one has to manually add the DOI for online first articles?
  • This means that in the style for the Magnetic Resonance Materials in Physics, Biology and Medicine the DOI will not be rendered (also when it is given in your data) except for online only papers (which are detecting by not having any page numbers).

Zotero tries always to save the DOI automatically, however, if that mechanism fails in some cases, then you might need to add an DOI manually.