Turabian 8th Edition: Option for Web Page Citation Missing from New Item Button

Hi,

Using the Turabian 8th edition with Zotero, when I click the Add Item > More, I'm given many different options for citation, but "Web Page" is missing.

Instead, I have to choose "Blog Post," and then from the Info tab which appears to the right, I click the Item Type, and then click "Web Page" at the bottom of that list.

Any idea as to when this might get fixed/updated? I use websites all the time for informal research.

Thanks.
  • This is an intentional omission to discourage users from creating website items manually. Try creating such items by right-clicking the page you want to cite in your browser. The option will likely make a comeback in the future with a warning to the user.
  • I understand that you would want to promote the use of the Plugin, but some may not see that feature easily. I would include both ways of getting the information in, both the manual way and the right-click way. Furthermore, in Chrome, the plugin button does not always appear up in the URL bar as it should.

As as side note, I love Zotero! Can't believe it's free. (How much space do I have to include PDFs, etc.?)
  • edited February 16, 2015
    No, this is precisely why it's not an option — you're missing the correct way to save unrecognized web pages from the browser and wasting huge amounts of time: https://www.zotero.org/support/getting_stuff_into_your_library#saving_web_pages

More discussion on this than you could possibly want here (with every single person asking for it having the same misunderstanding as you): https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/22041/1/what-type-for-a-web-site/#Item_12

But as Aurimas says, we'll likely add this with a warning in the future.
    (And, actually, I'd like to change the address bar icon to appear on every page and just do the best it can, which will also help clarify this. We've always felt the distinction between high-quality and low-quality saves was important, but I've come to the conclusion that it's not worth the confusion.)
    How much space do I have to include PDFs, etc.?)
    300 MB for free, with subscriptions available for more space: https://www.zotero.org/support/storage
  • Well, maybe you're not missing the correct way, if you know about the right-click option. But then I'm not sure what you meant by "Furthermore, in Chrome, the plugin button does not always appear up in the URL bar as it should" — that has no bearing on whether you can use the right-click method, which is available on any page, which is why there should almost never be a need for manual entry of a webpage.
  • Hi Dan,

You said, "We could add 'Web Page' to the New Item drop-down in Standalone, but given that it's still possible and better to do it from the Chrome/Safari plugins, the original justification for not including it still applies."

I'm not sure why you couldn't offer more than one way to do something, especially when others have wondered about it, and also when many may not think to right-click on a web-page.

While the right-click option is a faster option, it may not be as discoverable for some. Also, many software programs offer the more common way of doing a task, and then a "power user" method which is typically faster. Yet both are available to the user.

Something to consider.
  • You didn't read the rest of that thread. That was one post from 2012. We said in later posts, and we said twice in this thread, that we'll likely be adding this option to the menu for the purpose of discoverability, with a (dismissable) warning telling people that there's a better way. That doesn't mean that anyone should use it. It absolutely should not be the "more common" way.
    (And again, changing the behavior of the address bar icon and making that just always appear and always save something will be the biggest change here.)
  • Sounds like a good improvement. By the way, this is the best citation software out there, in my view. Small suggestions, but really a great product.