"Add Item(s) by identifier" not working for DOI, PMID or ISBN

When I try to insert a reference into zotero, i get "Zotero could not find any identifiers in your input. Please verify your input and try again."

This happened just a week or two ago (i have worked with zotero seamlessly for a while now).

Any suggestion?

Report ID: 1535282951

Thanks!
  • So, I have disabled NoScript, and it seems to work now.

Does any body know which websites I need to whitelist in NoScript to allow this to work?

Thanks!
  • Try example.com
  • UPDATE:

I have whitelisted in NoScript the following sites:
    example.com
    datacite.org
    medra.org
    doi.org
    airiti.com

None of them seems to work. Yet, when I disable NoScript, it works fine.
  • Please submit a Debug log for an attempt to import
  • A) Thanks... I was just strugling with the same issue, so the trick to allow scripts was nice to know.

B) But still which servers is it that we have to whitelist?
  • See above. We would need a debug log to see what's being blocked.
  • I seem to have the same issue ("Add Item(s) by identifier" not working for DOI, PMID).

See: D706550750

I'm fairly certain it's related to NoScript FF extension.

I'm looking forward to a solution.

Many thanks for your work!
  • @aurimas: D1768962276

I hope it contains someting useful...
  • Oh, hmm, try whitelising "data:", if it lets you.
  • edited February 9, 2015
    OK, sounds like you might need to go to about:config in the Firefox address bar and toggle the noscript.forbidData preference to false by double-clicking it.  Edit: See below.

I'm surprised that whitelisting example.com doesn't work, though. Simon might have some other ideas here.
  • Assuming that works, I guess we should 1) check if that pref is set and 2) check if NoScript is enabled and show a better error. (Ideally we would wait for the failure first, but not sure how feasible that is inside the sandbox.)
    None works.

a) You can't whitelist data:
    b) setting the entry to false makes no difference
    So you can fix this by going to about:config in the Firefox address bar and setting noscript.forbidXHR to 0 instead of the default 1. I don't know what implications that has for NoScript's normal protections or whether there's a better workaround, though, so you should ask them, point them to this thread for the context and the details below, and post back with anything you find out. (You can also reset forbidData to true.)

Technical details: Simon knows more about how this works, but I believe we create a sandbox for http://www.example.com and make an XHR to a data: URI, and they're blocking that because of the scheme mismatch (http != data). Setting forbidXHR to 0 allows any XHR, whereas the default 1 allows cross-site XHR across trusted sites.
  • @Grode

Are you contacting the NoScript developers? Can you keep us updated here? Thanks!
  • I can't say I am in contact, but I wrote to them about contacting Zotero guys. SO maybe they will.

Anyways your noscript.forbidXHR to 0 works. So from there it is more a question about how much else that opens for. I will try to write them about it.
  • So I got in touch... issue solved in 2.6.9.13rc1 from https://noscript.net/getit#devel

Tada. Thanks to everybody.
  • Thanks, Grode!
  • I'm not using noscript, there is not setting to change, but I get the same error message. I am using Firefox. Do I need to use a different browser? I understand the newest version of Firefox is not yet compatible with Zotero?
  • edited February 11, 2015
    kaobrien: You should start a new thread — this one is about NoScript — and provide a Debug ID for an attempt that fails. (And Zotero works fine with the latest released version of Firefox as well as the upcoming one.)
  • my fault.... I did an reinstall, reboot... all is good. Should have done that to start with.