Zotero Word for Windows Integration is incompatible with Firefox 35

“Firefox automatically updated to version 35, and suddenly now says:
Zotero Word for Windows Integration is incompatible with Firefox 35

The only option it gives me is to "remove" that add-in. But it's the latest version 3.1.17

And within Word, when I try to click on any of the Zotero "actions" it comes up with the error message:
Zotero could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate extension is installed and try again.”

Someone posted this issue and I have the same problem as dreamusic (who posted this). I followed a link Dan Stillman linked as an answer - and when trying to download the "Word for Windows Plugin 3.1.18 (Firefox extension)" it says "The add-on could not be downladed because of a connection failure at Zotero.org" - what should I do? I'm doing my exam project right now - HELP!
  • Thanks for your help both in this conversation and in the other thread! It's great with quick answers - I'm so happy :-)
  • I'm still seeing the "The add-on could not be downladed because of a connection failure at Zotero.org" message when attempting to install the Word plugin. Any other reports of this?

Best,
    James
  • James: Which version are you installing, and from which page?
  • The workaround depends on JavaScript being enabled, so if you're running the NoScript extension or otherwise have JavaScript disabled, you'd still get the message. You shouldn't otherwise.

(And just to clarify, while it'd be good to troubleshoot this in case others are still getting it too, the message still indicates a problem with your connection as explained on the "Updates Not Detected" page linked from the linked page.)
  • Hi Dan: Word for Windows Plugin 3.1.18 from https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation (for Firefox 35.0). On your second point, I imagine our proxy here at the British Library is to blame.
  • If you have Zotero itself installed, can you provide a Report ID after getting the error?

Beyond that, if you can't fix your connection, you can just right-click, Save Link As, and drag the XPI into Firefox for now, but note that Updates Not Detected will apply.
  • Oddly, I can't event right-click and save as! Managed to do so on another machine on another network, so will manually copy across and install that way. Thanks for your help.