Syncing webdav

Hi there,

My goal is to sync the Zotero attachments across multiple computers through a cloud-based Box.com account. The error is: 419129901, corresponding to the following message: "My library: HTTP 500 from WebDAV server for HTTP PUT".

In zotero, I've checked the "sync attachment files in My Library using WebDav" option and have verified the correct server. In ZotFile, the "Attach stored copy of the file" option is checked. I suspect I have to check the "custom location" box, yet the the zotero folder on my Box.com account simply does not appear as an option. I can only see the zotero folder when I actually go into the Box website and a series of folders that are not human readable (e.g. 2DTC6HM8.prop, 2DTC6HM8.zip) are the only thing I find, with PDFs nowhere to be found...

Perhaps it's an issue under the advanced tab of Zotero preferences where I need to change the linked attachment base directory of data directory options?

Please help! Thanks so much.
  • the .prop and .zip files is exactly how successful WebDAV sync would look on box.com

It's hard to say why you'd get a 500 error from Box.com - you could try again later. Is your library very large?

Could you also describe how you're telling that file sync isn't working?

Don't change any of your settings, they all sound right.
  • Adam, many thanks for your speedy reply.

The 500 error disappeared after I tried syncing again, but...

My sync isn't working as I can't access the pdfs that should be linked to the individual zotero entries from my other computer which has the same exact settings (i.e. it insists "The attached file could not be found. It may have been moved or deleted outside of Zotero").

So that's one issue, the other issue is that my box.com folder will get pretty congested if all those .prop and .zip files keep accumulating. Would it be possible just to sync the individual pdfs on this external account?

Thanks so much for your help - I really appreciate it.
  • Do you think I need to change from absolute paths to relative paths?
  • no, those settings have nothing to do with your situation. You can and should create a zotero folder in box.com and set up webDAV for that, that'll take care of the cluttering since you'll never have to look at that folder. The way webDAV works you can't just sync PDFs, no.

Make sure that both computers have fully synced, this will work. Last resort is: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/files_not_syncing
  • Thanks, Adam.

I'm really confused as to why the files won't sync.

Could it be that my zotfile parameters are screwing things up?

My settings are:

In Zotero: Sync attachment files using WebDAV (using zotero folder in Box.com)
    In Zotfile: Locaiton of files is the same zotero folder in Box.com.

I do have the "Use Zotero to Rename" option checked, which has been creating an additional pdf with my naming convention in that folder.

Do you think that's in issue?
  • If you want to use WebDAV sync, don't set ZotFile to move your files. In the General tab, it should be set to "Attach Stored Copy"
    You'll likely have to undo the moving you've done so far, so after making that change, select all your items in Zotero -->right click --> Manage Attachments --> Rename items.
    Then try syncing again.
  • Adam I really appreciate your help, but I'm 100% confused now (I know you're probably getting frustrated at this point!), and really want to be able to use Zotero/zotfile

I did what you said and changed the zotfile option to "attach stored copy" (which confuses me because now there is no reference path for zotfile to know where i'm saving my files, and the purpose of using zotfile for me is to be able to extract annotations from the pdfs), and ive unchecked the "use zotero to rename" option.

I left the other settings untouched.

Now, however, when I import an article from the web, the associated pdf is not saved on box.com, but rather on Macintosh HD ▸ Users ▸ me ▸ Library ▸ Application Support ▸ Zotero ▸ Profiles ▸ siidxs6w.default ▸ zotero ▸ storage ▸ RUBDBEGV...

that confuses the heck out of me. it seems like it bypassed the webdav setting now?
  • No, this is exactly right. Here is how this works:

Zotero saves your file locally, then it syncs them, via webDAV, to your box.com account online (so the files are never in your local box.com folder. You should, in fact, probably not sync the zotero folder in box.com to your computer since it's of little use).
    From your account on box.com they sync back to, again, the local Zotero folder on all your other computers.

So to restate - the files will be in the zotero/storage folder on all of your computers and will be online on box.com.

ZotFile will know where to find files to extract annotations because Zotero tells it where they are.
  • Thanks for your explanation -- that makes sense.

The files are still not syncing despite following your directions. Not quite sure what to do. I'll try again tomorrow and if it doesn't work, I'll ping you again tomorrow.

Thanks so much for your help.

Danielle
  • I'm having/had exactly the same problem as Danielle (I'm using a mac, if that makes any difference.) I previously synced through dropbox and zotfile, but that stopped working for some reason, so I thought I'd switch to the box.com reccommendation. Initially a few index files showed up in the box.com folder, but then it stopped to I searched the forums and found this thread. I followed all of the instructions here, but now when I hover over the spinning green sync arrow it just says 'getting updated data from sync server' and doesn't seem to sync anything to box.com. And when I verify my server I get the same warning:

"A potential problem was found with your WebDAV server.

An uploaded file was not immediately available for download. There may be a short delay between when you upload files and when they become available, particularly if you are using a cloud storage service.

If Zotero file syncing appears to work normally, you can ignore this message. If you have trouble, please post to the Zotero Forums."

The green arrow's been spinning for a couple of hours without seeming to accomplish uploading any files to box.com - is it just taking so long because it has a lot of data to index, or is it stuck?

Thank you so much for your help,
    Kylie
  • Kylie: That's not related to file syncing, just data syncing. When Zotero is syncing files, it will say so explicitly when you hover over the sync icon. This was just a server glitch, now fixed.
  • Hi, Zotero community
    My trouble seems to be simple but i'm not able to fix it. I'm trying to use the WebDAV option for syncing files for my Zotero library. I don't have any Item in Zotero server but a lot on my local data directory. Yet the zotero folder in the WebDAV server is empty... How can I "feed" my WebDAV server with the local data of my library? First, is it even possible?
    Thanks for help.