Joint authors

As far as I can tell, zotero won't list multiple authors on a bibliography or report. Instead it lists the first author and then the phrase "joint authors." Is there a way to list multiple authors as per Chicago style? If not, is this feature likely to be added?

Thanks
  • edited September 6, 2008
    Are you using a Chicago Style? Chicago lists multiple authors--are you sure you've entered every author in the db?
  • yes, you´re definitely doing something wrong there - Chicago style never uses the phrase "joint authors" (if anything it uses et al.) - either you are using a different style or it's actually part of the bibliographic record you are citing.
  • I've tried booth Worldcat and Amazon, Zotero recognizes the books, but not the additional authors. For example, from Worldcat:

A history of sea power,

William Oliver Stevens; Allan F Westcott
    English Book Book ix, 467 p. illus. (maps) diagrs. 22 cm.
    New York, Doubleday, Doran & Company, inc.,

Zotero doesn't grab the second author as an author, and if I generate a bibliographic note I get:

Stevens, William Oliver. A History of Sea Power, Westcott, Allan F.; B. 1882, ; (Allan Ferguson),; Joint Author. New York, Doubleday, Doran & Company, inc., 1942

I can of course edit the zotero entry by hand. Still it seems like zotero should be able to handle multiple authors without my having to do so. Or perhaps I am doing something wrong.

I think adam.smith above may be right, but still I would think that zotero should be able to handle worldcat and amazon without this problem.

Any ideas? Other people's experience?

Thanks!
  • I'm not getting the problem you are. Could you provide the link that you use to generate this record?

If I navigate to

http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/361553&referer=brief_results

and then click the Zotero symbol, both authors are imported as authors (which also answers your question: yes Zotero happily handles multiple authors, so long as the bib data is encoded right). If I generate a bib from this record I get

Stevens, William Oliver, and Allan F. Westcott. 1942. A history of sea power, New York: Doubleday, Doran & Company, inc.

which is what I'd expect.
    On a related note I wouldn't recommend Amazon as a site of reliable and complete bib data. I'd use something like COPAC,

www.copac.ac.uk

regards, Jon.
  • http://firstsearch.oclc.org.libproxy.albany.edu/WebZ/FSFETCH?fetchtype=fullrecord:sessionid=fsapp3-56565-fkuawcmz-j6tj7k:entitypagenum=18:0:recno=2:resultset=7:format=FI:next=html/record.html:bad=error/badfetch.html:entitytoprecno=2:entitycurrecno=2:numrecs=1

I access worldcat through the State University of New York at Albany. When I use your connection I do indeed get both authors listed correctly, exactly as you indicated above. My screen signing on from my university looks different than yours - but not in a way that I would think zotero should have a problem with. But apparently it does. Thanks for the copac link, it worked correctly even through my connection.

Should I blame my university's presentation of worldcat for this problem? Or is it a more of a zotero flaw that it doesn't click with worldcat via SUNY?

Thanks to Jon and others for taking the time to look into this.

Tim
  • AHA! I just figured out that I can subscribe to worldcat for free. So that solves my problem. Although the problem with my University connection remains a mystery.

T
  • the problem, though, remains. Zotero doesn't capture authors correctly for World Cat when accessed through Firstsearch (the advantage of that display is that I can use it to make interlibrary loan request with one click etc.)
    I tried this with several coauthored volumes using
    http://newfirstsearch.oclc.org.turing.library.northwestern.edu
    and the problem seems to apply across the board. Possibly this is not a Zotero but a firstsearch issue, though.
  • I happen to have a similar problem when importing from a German catalogue (http://opacplus.ub.uni-muenchen.de/): The first author is correctly imported but the others are not. So this issue seems not to be too uncommon.