Mac Word Plugin 2.0a1 Questions

I've just installed 2.0a1 of the Mac plugin for Word 2008, but I can't seem to get anything to work. I have installed 1.5-sync3.2, and synced my reference list (it's only got 6 items in it) to the servers. In Word 2008, I have several entries on the AppleScript menu, such as 'Add Bibliography', 'Add Citation' etc., but when I select one of them, nothing happens :(. Am I doing something wrong, or is there a problem with the plugin?

Thanks,

Dave.
  • Could you please send us debug output to support@zot....org? Thanks.
  • Sean,

You have mail :).
  • Assuming your Microsoft User Data folder is located in your Documents folder, try typing the following in the terminal

cd ~/Documents/Microsoft\ User\ Data/Word\ Script\ Menu\ Items/Zotero/
    python MacWord.py addCitation
  • I get the following:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "MacWord.py", line 45, in <module>
    from appscript import *
    ImportError: No module named appscript

Hope that helps :).

PS, how do you get a code quote?
  • edited October 31, 2008
    I've received that error on OS X when I was using the wrong interpreter (e.g. fink or darwinports).

Could you run which python
    PS, how do you get a code quote?
    In HTML posts, use <code> blocks

• /usr/bin/python
  • That's promising. What version of OS X & what is the output of:
    python -c "from distutils.sysconfig import get_python_lib; print get_python_lib()"
  • @Simon: I got the same message from terminal to the call

from appscript import *

@noksagt: I am running OS X 10.5.5 and the output of the call is
    /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages
    Thanks in advance for giving such prompt help!
  • I don't 10.5.5 yet, but that path looks correct to me. Is appscript in that directory?

appscript should ship with Leopard, but you should also be able to do:
    sudo easy_install appscript
  • You shouldn't have to install appscript, since our plugin installer should take care of it for you if necessary. Until Simon chimes in again, it might also be helpful to know whether you're running PPC or Intel.
  • I have the same issue with the plugin of mac word 2008.
    >python MacWord.py addCitation
    from appscript import *
    >
    I use the intel mac book pro and latest word 2008 12.1.2.
  • I'm running 10.5.5 on a MacBook Pro (Intel), MS Word 12.1.4.

/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages

The folder contains

appscript-0.18.1-py2.5-macosx-10.5-i386.egg

Thanks,

Dave.
  • OK, it appears the installer wasn't properly registering appscript. We've posted a new DMG to the Sync Preview page. If you're having trouble, please re-download it and run the installer again. (Depending on the browser you use to download it, you may need to clear your browser cache to get the new version of the DMG.)
  • Still don't work.
  • OK, a new installer is up that should work in all (known) cases.
  • It works. :)
    Thanks so much.
  • Thanks for the fast response! I've installed the updated version, and it all seems to be working fine. I'll try to play around with it a bit more, but so far so good.

Excellent work, it's really appreciated.

Regards,

Dave.
  • Is there any way to make the plugin work with Fink's Python (2.5.2)?
  • Is there any way to make the plugin work with Fink's Python (2.5.2)?
    You can try editing the executable path at the top of the two .py scripts in "~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Word Script Menu Items/Zotero/" and making sure appscript is installed in Fink. If that doesn't work, start a new thread and folks might be able to help debug.
  • Word 2008, PPC, OSX 10.4.11.

I ran the requested code in the terminal and got an error:

File "MacWord.py", line 94
    '", "'.join(butt.replace('\\', '\\\\').replace('"', '\\"') for butt in buttons)+ \
    ^
    SyntaxError: invalid syntax
  • edited November 6, 2008
    OK, looks like we need to fix Python 2.3 (Tiger) compatibility. I don't have access to Python 2.3 at the moment, but you may be able to fix this by opening up MacWord.py in a text editor (after making a backup) and changing line 94 from this:

'", "'.join(butt.replace('\\', '\\\\').replace('"', '\\"') for butt in buttons)+ \

to this:

'", "'.join([butt.replace('\\', '\\\\').replace('"', '\\"') for butt in buttons])+ \

Note the extra square brackets.

You would probably also have to run sudo easy_install appscript. We'll release a new version that includes the above fix and a version of appscript for Tiger shortly.
  • Hey, thanks a lot.

I made the adjustments to MacWord.py, and it gives me this error:

File "MacWord.py", line 1
    1 #!/usr/bin/python
    ^
    SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I tried to run to sudo easy_install appscript but I don't really know the directory where I need to do that.

Thanks for the help.
  • Hi,

I tried

as suggested above. It seems to be working fine.

I have a simple question. Do I have to type in commands from terminal each time to use Zotero synd? If so, is there a list of commands that I can use? Or do you have a tool bar like in the previous version?
  • Do I have to type in commands from terminal each time to use Zotero synd? If so, is there a list of commands that I can use? Or do you have a tool bar like in the previous version?
    The Zotero commands are in the script menu (manuscript icon) in the menu bar. You can use shortcut keys for quicker access.

Microsoft doesn't currently expose any way for us to use toolbar icons in Word 2008.
  • Thanks so much for the extremely quick reply. I truly appreciate it.
    Is the 'manuscript icon' an S-shaped icon on the menu bar?
    All I see is 'about this menu (in Japanese)' after clicking on this.
    Do I need to copy something to /Documents/Microsof User Data/Word Script Menu Items? Right now it is empty.
  • kazu: The real "~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Word Script Menu Items" can't be empty if you ran the above command, but it's possible OS X and/or Word is looking in two different places due to a localization issue. In the OS X Finder, do you see "Documents" or do you see the Japanese equivalent (or both, with only one having a special icon)? If you click Open Folder from the "About this Menu" window and then Control-click the folder name in the title bar, what's the path to the folder?
  • Now I found what was wrong. There are two "Microsoft User Data" , one in English and the other written in Japanese... There is "Word Script Menu Items" in each of them. After I copied the Zotero folder to the one in Japanese the problem sovled. Thanks Dan. It's so great I can use Zotero with Office mac 2008. Not that Office 2008 is great but I lost VBA during the process of uninstalling office 2004.
  • OK, thanks. We'll see if there's any way to handle localized folders like this during the installation (or we may need to do what we do for the Windows Word plugin on non-English systems and offer a manual installation option).
  • I confirm there is the same issue on MS Office 2008 in French.
    You have to move the Zotero folder from: HD>Word Script Menu Items>"Zotero" to: Documents>Données utilisateurs Microsoft>"Zotero"
    Then it works.

I hope it's probably be fixed in a next version of the release for non-english user (it seems already done for Windows users).
    Keep up the good work !
  • edited December 9, 2008
    Hi, I have OS version 10.4.11., running Intel. Like other users, I have the script menu in word but it doesn't do anything. In my MacWord.Py file it's written:
    But when I try to
    sudo easy_install appscript
    the terminal answers
    sudo: easy_install: command not found
    What should I do?
This discussion has been closed.