PLOS journal articles not saving with new version of Zotero

Report ID : 1886150176

I recently started to have trouble with saving PLOS journal article to Zotero. The issue occurs for all PLOS journals that I tried (Comp Biol Biol, Medicine, One), and occurs on both my Macbook Pro and iMac. The issue appeared immediately after I upgraded to Yosemite OS. I re-downloaded Firefox and Zotero today, so I have the most recent versions.

When visiting a PLOS page, I used to see the little address bar icon depicting a white page with lines on it, and would have no problem saving the page to Zotero. Now when I visit a PLOS page, the address bar icon is a yellow folder instead. When I click on it, I get: "Could Not Save Item". It seems to be a translator issue.

Anybody having the same problem with Yosemite, Firefox 35.0, and Zotero 4.0.25.2. Note that I use the Firefox add-on version of Zotero, not the standalone one.

Thanks in advance!
Alex
  • To reproduce: visit any web page from PLOS and press the address bar icon (yellow folder).

Example of a page that does not work for me:

http://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.1002029
  • Thanks for reporting. This should be fixed now.

Update your translators via Preferences -> General -> Update Now, refresh the page and give it another go.
  • I am also having trouble with saving PLOS journal article to Zotero. When I try and use the doi, it says 'Zotero could not find a record for the specified identifier. Please verify the identifier and try again.'
    Also got the yellow folder in the address bar.

I have tried following the Preferences -> General -> Update Now, but it hasnt helped.
    Thanks a lot! zoe
  • wow, speedy response!

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0090032
  • It looks like translator updates aren't going through to clients--that's the same issue Aurimas fixed.
    @Dan - could you take a look, please?

(the DOI service from CrossRef appears to be temporarily down, so that's why that's not working).
  • edited January 14, 2015
    Should be fixed now.
  • Thanks for the help everybody. Everything works fine for me now.
  • edited January 19, 2015
    I'm experiencing a similar issue, but it began after I updated to last firefox version (35.0). I'm also working with Yosemite and I have the last version of zotero plugin for firefox (40.25.2). The problem is that I cannot see the book at the right of my navigator in order to record references.

If the problem concerns updating "translators", I'm unable to do it, because I don't have any path like the one described by zoegreatorex : So after Preferences -> General -> I don't have any button or instruction to "Update Now".

Something more : I use zotero standalone and my firefox is unable to connect with it. When I try to connect it, I have the next alert : "Zotero Standalone was launched but is not accessible. If you experienced an error opening Zotero Standalone, restart Firefox." Restarting firefox is not fixing the problem.

Last thing: Safari and Chrome are working well, so the problem only concerns firefox.

What should I do ?

Regards, Guillermo
  • The problem is that I cannot see the book at the right of my navigator in order to record references.
    Is this anywhere or on the PLOS site? (Please start a new thread if it's not just PLOS, but see issues below first)
    I don't have any path like the one described by zoegreatorex : So after Preferences -> General -> I don't have any button or instruction to "Update Now".
    Are you looking under Zotero preferences (gear menu) in either Zotero Standalone or Zotero for Firefox? Is this a problem for both? Are you using a non-English version? If so, and the translation is not right, it's the only button on that tab. Otherwise, please take a screenshot of the preference window, post it somewhere (e.g. imgur, Dropbox, etc) and link to it in a new thread.
    I use zotero standalone and my firefox is unable to connect with it. When I try to connect it, I have the next alert : "Zotero Standalone was launched but is not accessible. If you experienced an error opening Zotero Standalone, restart Firefox." Restarting firefox is not fixing the problem.
    Again, please start a new thread for this (different thread for different issues). Are you starting Zotero Standalone in some odd way. Particularly, are you including a --no-remote flag when you start? (If that doesn't make sense to you, then you're probably not) I'm also not very clear on what you mean by "try to connect [Firefox to Zotero]" Do you mean that you're trying to open Zotero in Firefox while standalone is running? Does it open properly if Standalone is closed?
  • Guillermo,

Regarding your first problem. With the latest version of zotero you should have the "Update now" button. Make sure you open zotero in firefox, then click on the little gear on the left side of the menu bar. Then preferences -> general -> update now. For clarity, this path does not refer to firefox preferences, but rather those of zotero.