Drag and drop broken

Error Report ID 1822185658
Drag and dropping items between collections and pdf files into zotero not working. Following forum advice have made sure zotero files are read/write. Was working normally before. The problem may be linked to copying zotero to a new MacBook which syncs with my Windows PC through dropbox. Zotero drag and drop works fine in the MacBook.
Steps to reproduce:
1 Open zotero
2 Click on item in any collection
3 drag to another collection
4 the another collection does not highlight and no + sign appears
Trying to move pdf file from Windows Explorer into Zotero
1 Highlight pdf file in Windows Explorer
2 Drag to Zotero
3 nothing happens and pdf file is not copied over.

Thanks for your help
  • Does not work for me either. Pdf, dragging or importing from local files, error message file not supported. Same files on weblocation, no problem.

Win8.1, Firefox latest (what ever it is)
  • @cambowie -- are you saying you're syncing the Zotero folder via Dropbox? That's not a supported set up and would lead to all types of issues.

@Grode -- could you expand a little -- from what you're saying this doesn't sound like the same issue (since you get an error message) and may just be based on a misunderstanding.
  • Let me think:

First I have changed one thing since I reported. I have added the standalone version of Zotero to my system. Not sure if that was clever, but I had to try something.

Difference is that now files gets in - almost. They do get in but never take care of any references.

Now:

Plug in version (trying to drag into zotero in Firefox from Windows explorer local drive): File gets in - used as reference I get: («00_matematiks_elementaere_videnskabsteori.pdf», udateret)

Not good. I think this is all due to the standalone version at least can get the file inside zotero, but nothing more.

So I tested with a PDF I know contains recognizable text and this returns an error if I try to retrieve metadata.
  • OK, that's entirely different then, please start a new thread--if you're having trouble with retrieve metadata, please specify the exact error message you're getting and ideally try this on a file we can access, too, so we can test with the same file.
  • Adam - i am using dropbox to update my laptop after working on my PC. The zotero folder is one of the folders in my dropbox folder on my PC and laptop. Is that a problem? Why might zotero synch be a better way? The drag and drop function is now working correctly.
  • The way that Dropbox handles, compresses, and stores files is not suitable for database files usd by Zotero and any other database software. Similarly, you shouldn't keep your Zotro folder on a network drive. A database works by manipulating several things in proper sequence. Placing your Zotero folder apart from your computer interferes with that and can mangle your data beyond recovery.

That isn't to say Dropbox is bad. I use Dropbox for almost everything other than Zotero.