Disable spellcheck in standalone 4?

Hello, I recently upgraded Zotero and need to find a way to disable the spellchecker in the notes. I don't see the old "spell check this field" option on right click anymore. I did try a trick I saw on this forum, editing about:config to limit the number of corrections to one, but then there is still that one big distracting squiggle on the screen.

Anyway, the forum I found that in was a few years old, surely there is a new way to disable spellcheck, which I am just not seeing?

Thanks for any help!
  • Did you try setting it to 0?
  • Surely there ought to be a simple "turn off spellchecking" option?
  • Can anyone advise what to change in firefox's about:config as a short-term workaround please?
  • Regarding the annoying spell-checking in zotero notes

If you edit firefox's about:config file (carefully!) by changing extensions.spellcheck.inline.max-misspellings from its default setting of 500 to 0, it appears to switch off the annoying spellchecking in zotero notes

Mike
  • edited July 23, 2015
    My language is Italian and I use Zotero Stand Alone 4-0.27.6.

I have tried to solve the annoying spell-checking in zotero notes by adding IT value in spellchecker.dictionary in config. It looked like en-US,IT.
    But it doesn't work.

On the contrary, as suggested by Mike Forward, setting extensions.spellcheck.inline.max-misspellings to 0 seems to work

Regards
  • You would want to set it to "it-IT" not "en-US,IT", but I don't think Zotero Standalone ships with non-English spellchecker dictionaries, so you might just have to disable the spell checking for the time being as per Mike's instructions above.
  • Hello,
    I followed Mike's instructions, but it did not work for me. I also tried another way to deal with the problem: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/19771/workaround-to-disable-spell-checker/

In both cases, I closed zotero standalaone, then changed the value xtensions.spellcheck.inline.max-misspellings (to either 0 or -1), then quit firefox, then reopened zotero standalone. But the spellchecker continues to underline most of the words in my notes in red.

This morning, I had to reset firefox for the second time within some week (that's what made me decide to Zotero standalone).

zotero version: 4.0.28.8.
    firefox version: 42
  • I think you misunderstand: you need to change the about:config settings in Standalone, not in Firefox to affect Standalone's behavior. You can get to those from the advanced tab of the Zotero preferences. This one needs a restart to take effect.
  • Also, why did you have to reset Firefox? It sometimes recommends that, but I don't ever recall seeing this as something that _had_ to be done.
  • Thanks for that reply, i really had misunderstood Mike Forward's suggestion, as he had written about editing "firefox's about:config file". Problem is solved now.

Concerning my firefox problem: I use the german version. I think, the more accurate translation of what I had to do was "restoring" rather than "resetting". Firefox would shut down a few seconds after opening the application. Occasionally, dialogue box appeared suggesting to either restore firefox or launching it in "safe mode" (again, a translation from "abgesicherter Modus". In that mode, firefox launches uncustomized, bookmarks and add-ons, such as zotero are not there. So, I restored firefox and add-ons like adblocker and zotero were gone.

I did not really bother to do research on the causes of this problem but decided to give safari a try. However, one suspicion would be that there was some kind of interference with chrome, which I also have installed as I have to use it for work.
  • Hi,

After this huge thread, is there anybody that have solved definitely this problem, because my notes are in french !

Thanks,
  • Setting
    extensions.spellcheck.inline.max-misspellings from its default setting of 500 to 0 under about:config disables the spell checker. There's no way to enable it in a language other than English.
  • Still the same? No other languages than English?
    German would be great for example.