tagging and annotating websites

I'm going to do a research project on analyzing websites in terms of the web features they have (blog, video etc ). In this project, many academics across Europe will participate. To support and facilitate the coding process online, I am looking at ways to assist participants in the coding process when problems arise. Annotation of elements on the website itself (high lighting, sticky notes) would be a great feature.
A similar service is provided by Diigo. However, I'd rather stay with one application.
  • By 'annotation of elements on the website itself' do you mean "altering the HTML that the site's server dishes out"? Or do you envision some way to put a layer of markup between the reader and the (live, potentially changing) website? Or do you imaging capturing pages statically, annotating them, and sharing the results? This last option could be done by a web app or a local (desktop or browser based) app.

Zotero can do the very last part, capture and annotate web pages. It can also export the result for sharing, but I guess you want to share more easily than that. I'm not sure if you can 'upload' one of Zotero's captured web pages to then be viewed online.

At the moment Zotero doesn't have the kind of web infrastructure that would allow totally-web based capture, annotation and sharing. If that's what you want, it may be better to go with an application which can do that stuff already.

Zotero will fairly soon be able to sync databases, and to sync your media files (like captured and annotated web pages) via WebDAV (preview version already available), and although at the moment this functionality is only intended for individual use, it will be extended for group work in the future, and even the currently in-progress version might be persuaded to work in a way that would help you (if you all shared the same database, for example). However, if your project is beginning immanently, I expect you will want to either see if Zotero's existing (or soon-to-arrive) annotation and sharing functionality will work for you, or find an annotate-and-share solution that already does, possibly using Zotero for storing captured web pages for future reference and study, which it would be quite good at.
  • Dear Scot, thanks for the reaction and the info.
    I don't mean altering the html code, but indeed a layer between the reader and the html code. I'm not sure how that would work with a changing website, or a website that adds content while the original stays on the webpage (e.g. blogs).

The main issue is indeed annotating and sharing.
    Indeed sharing should be as easy as possible since participants are geographically separated. Sharing the Zotero storage folder is no problem. I synchronize this folder between my work and home computers. However, it'd be easy when is could be stored online and shared, or synchronized through an online interface.
    The appr. 30 people in 20 countries that will work on the project are not expected to be expected to be insufficiently able to operate under the hood of software. So a simple solution is needed.

I understand Zotero is working to add those features in the near or further future. So I'll drop in to use Zotero it is now for private use, while I may use Diig or another application for the research project.

Thanks again
    Maurice