The Zotero sync server did not accept your username and password. Please check that you have entere

Hi,

I have tried to sync for my first time but I keep getting the msg:

'The Zotero sync server did not accept your username and password.

Please check that you have entered your zotero.org login information correctly in the Zotero sync preferences.'

I have the correct username/password as i am signed into my account.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Darren.
  • The message generally means what it says. Completely clear and then re-enter your username and password in the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences.
  • Hi Dan,

It is still not working. Plus, I have downloaded Zotero for my computer on campus and I can not log into my account with the credentials I have.

Could it be anything else?

Darren
  • It looks like you have an active sync now.
  • Yeah thanks for the reply.
  • The same problem for me.
    I have downloaded a standalone version on my Mac, plus a Firefox plugin. None accepts my password.

Thanks a lot in advance.
  • start with this:
    The message generally means what it says. Completely clear and then re-enter your username and password in the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences.
    note that you need to use your username, not your e-mail, for login. If you're 100% sure you've entered everything correctly, you can try changing your password, especially if it contains unusual characters.
  • note that you need to use your username, not your e-mail, for login
    (You can actually use either, despite what it says in the dialog.)
  • Is this a recent change? I recall an issue with someone trying to use the email address to sync a couple months ago.
  • Using a non-primary email address probably doesn't work — might have been that.
  • Thanks, Dan. I needed to input my email and not the username.
  • Same proble here. It is definitely not because of mistyped username /password. Entering the email address instead of the username works.