Wrong citation in Harvard style

2»
  • edited November 25, 2008
    @elbic: You are of course allowed to create a new style. But I can't tell you how to do that because I'm lacking the abilities for programming. If you try programming I could help translating.

Try installing the style "tah-Geistes- und Kulturwissenschaften". This works fine with me, only has some minor bugs like writing upper quotation marks (") altough my OOo-auto-correction is enabled to produce lower quotation marks at the beginning of a word.
  • @morris: as I understood this discussion, it is grounded on the impossibility to solve the problem by just creating your own style. thats what I try, but I find no way to edit these little words that are presumably defined in the local-file.

@bdarcus: i get your point. as there are only 2 germans complaining it might be a really good idea indeed.
    but what about making the local file editable, so there would be one Standard-File, but also a way to install a modified one. Then, some very few styles have to add a hint that they only work with a special modified local-file, which could be downloadable too. I am sticking to this point because I see the local standadization not only as a gift, bt also as a very rigorous constraint for the creation of new styles (though the few reactions to this contraint may make me look a little quirky).
  • edited November 26, 2008
    but what about making the local file editable, so there would be one Standard-File, but also a way to install a modified one. Then, some very few styles have to add a hint that they only work with a special modified local-file, which could be downloadable too.
    With the forthcoming point release of Zotero (1.0.8), it will become possible to declare custom terms in styles. Check this style to see how that can be done (note that this style gets messed up in 1.0.7):

https://www.zotero.org/styles/mhra_note_without_bibliography/dev

Of course, when translations are missing or incorrect, the preferably approach would be to fix these translations in the locale file, so that the right terms become available to all styles and all users. The translation effort is currently hosted by babelzilla.org (translators have to register there), and you can report any errors in the translation in the following topic (although I'm not sure if all translators monitor that thread):

http://www.babelzilla.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=2328
  • @Rintze: that style you link to is way old, and way out of date.

@selbic: you can override the standard terms within a CSL style by simply including the cs:term element there (though I've never tested this with Zotero, so can't confirm it works). It's just generally a bad idea. None of your examples need local overriding except to the degree they're difficult to fix globally. E.g. the problem is not that you have unique needs; it's that this locale file has bugs or missing translations. So, please follow Rintze's suggestion and report the problems at babelzilla. If you must, you can override the terms in your own style, but then you need to change the style name and id, and maintain your own style.
  • edited November 26, 2008
    @bdarcus: the old mhra-note w/o bib was indeed antiquated, but this is a new version that will be used in 1.0.8 and up: https://www.zotero.org/trac/ticket/1147

My tests showed that defining new terms does work, save for a bug that will be fixed in the next Zotero release.
  • Main translator for de-DE speaking here:

I definitely can't monitor all the discussions on this forum and the babelzilla-thread is a rather bad place for requests as well. At the same time, I'm very thankful for all bug reports in the localization. Babelzilla requires you to translate without much context and this can lead to problems, especially if you never use the bibliographic output functions of Zotero.

Solution: send me (or Morris who is also a registered translator) an e-mail or a PM on babelzilla. I'm more than happy to provide solutions but first I have to be aware of the problems. And fixing the problem on babelzilla is certainly preferable to fixing it locally.
  • WRT to the problem of incorrect date formats: I've started another thread to address this issue on a more general level.